white mountains rose

I acquired White Mts. ten years age. I still haven’t done much with it. A search on HMF and this forum “R. maximowicziana descendants” by David Z. anothers tells me that it was hybridized by Dr.Risley out of a seedling breed by fellow Manitoban Dr.Frank skinner.It is hardy as far north as the Devonian Garden in Alberta.
In 2004 is put pollen from Iceberg on it-mainly because it’s all I had. I got five seeds and 2 germinated. one seedling died soon after the other is still alive, remonstant and sets seed on its own. The foliage is semi- glossy like Iceberg,but defoliate from blackspot. It does not root readily from cuttings.
I would love to work with this rose to develop some prairie hardy climbing yellows.
I would love to stimulate another round of discussion about Wt Mts. Please be kind.

Hmmm, sounds like some Hazeldean pollen would be in order. You didn’t mean reblooming prairie hardy climbing yellows, did you?

(Would Darlow’s Enigma be another one to put Hazeldean pollen onto?)

That sounds fantastic Chuck!! In the Twin Cities WM has above average disease resistance, but isn’t completely clean. It sets seeds quite readily with other diploid Synstylae section derived roses. It would be nice if we had more options of diploid highly fertile yellow hardy roses from the Synstylae that it could readily cross with. It is great you had a cross of it with Iceberg. That sounds promising that it isn’t going to be too finicky and will hopefully be able to accept pollen of other roses with maybe diluted Synstylae genetics or maybe none at all and higher ploidy. I love your idea of Hazeldean Joe!!! Although not as hardy, maybe healthy light yellow shrub roses like High Voltage would allow for some nice repeat bloom in some of the seedlings in the first generation. White Mountains is heterozygous for repeat bloom. I have gotten about 50% repeaters with repeat blooming polys.

Bonjour chuckp
I am also a fan of White Mountain. I have did this summer the crosses that you wish to do : White Mountain x Hazeldean, and White Mountain x Prairie Peace also and both have took. I will harvest the fruits this week. Last fall I have sowed some OP seeds of a plant of White Mountain that I have given and that is growing to the New-Brunswick Botanique Garden. Only one seed has grown this spring. The bud is pale yellow and the flower fades white quickly. The only yellow flower near the mother plant was Carefree Sunshine. I am sure at 99% that this is the father of my seedling because of the similarity of the flowers. I hope that this will be helpful! (Sorry for my English). André

I just realize that I did a blunder…! My reply above should has been addressed to Jbergeson instead of Chuckp. My apologizes to both of you! André

No prob, André! Actually your message is good for both of us…I don’t have White Mountain yet, but I just offered those ideas.

Hi André and Joe
Can you PM me at - ed

Thank you chuckp

That email address bounced back, Chuck. It would be better for your security to send us a PM here (look for the little PM box on the right under our username on one of our replies in this thread) so that spambots don’t harvest your email address from your post and use it to send you spam.

This is my White Mountains x Iceberg hybrid.
I almost lost it this spring.
Its fertile both ways.
20141005_120942.jpg
20141005_120909.jpg
2014-09-05 09.09.39.jpg

1 Like

Nice result you got there with your above seedling, thanks for sharing.

Hi Chuckp
I am a little bit jealous with your result, very nice flower! I have lost my White Mountain OP (upper picture) and nothing happened this spring with my seeds of White Mountain x Hazeldean (31 seeds) and White Mountain x Prairie Peace (29 seeds). I kept them for one more year or maybe two.
André

Lyndon Lyon (1978) raised a miniature from OP seeds of ‘White Mountains’.

“… I had a row of Edward Baker Risley’s climbing ‘White Mountains’, a derivative of Rosa maximowicsiana, alternating with his ‘Durham Pillar’ nailed on the barn. Open pollinated seed of ‘White Mountain’ surprisingly gave me, among others, one very miniature everblooming plant which has since had such influence in miniaturizing our smallest roses. All of our miniature roses with flowers that turn green as they age, show this influence.”

http://bulbnrose.x10.mx/Roses/breeding/LyonRugosaMini1978.html

Bonjour,
I have thought to share some pictures of my 2 White Mountain OP seedlings, ‘’remontants’’.

The first one harvested in fall 2013, has germinated in spring 2014 and has flowered at the end of August in the same year. I have thought with this late flowering that it was a sign for possible remontance and my suspicion was confirmed this summer (2015)! The first flowering has begun in the beginning of July and has continued until end of October. The small clusters of flowers are appeared firstly on the last year wood, followed by some others on short ramifications on this same wood. After, all the new stems (2 to 4 feet) have flowered also at their tip, in September with bigger clusters. Sadly, as you can see on the pictures, the foliage is very prone to the leaves spots…!

The second seedling has been harvested last fall (2014) and it is in fact, a possible cross with Roseraie de l’Haÿ, among others crosses (sadly all failed) with Rita Bugnet and Ross Rambler #3 that I have made last year on White Mountain. It is rather, an open seedling and it is a little deception for me, even if it is remontant, because it has no sign of rambling. But if it resist to this winter I will try to do some crosses next summer on it. I think it is a good example mentioned by Karl K, in the quotation above. This miniature rose has begun to flower at the beginning of May 2015 and I have always seen flowers on it until end of October. This small plant measure only, at this end of season, 5 inches height by 8 inches wide and it is also sadly, prone to the leaves spots like mother plant…!
White Mountain 133S (21Sept.) .JPG
White Mountain 133S (25Juil.).JPG
White Mountain x Roseraie de l'Haÿ 142G (17Juil.) .JPG