White bloom on Wasagaming

This is the third season that Wasagaming is blooming for me (it just started this season, maybe half a dozen blooms open so far).
Today, as I went out to collect and apply pollen, I found this white bloom (Like Blanc d de Corbet white).
Has anyone else had Wasagaming sport? Is it common for it to do so?
I put a tag on the branch the bloom is on: it is on a short (maybe 6" branch coming off the main branch). I will wait to see if other buds develop, or if any other new branches (off the main branch) have white blooms.
The fragrance is exactly the same. There are perhaps a few less petals.
Is there any way to tell if this is a sport? Or where (or to what extent) on the branch it has occurred?

Any thoughts as to what I should look for? Or what (if anything) to do with it?
Duane

P.S. I once had an actual sport on Young Lycidas, but none of the cuttings I attempted from the branch were successfully rooted. I realized after the fact I should not have cut off the whole branchy at once to try rooting cuttings.
wasagaming 3.jpg
wasagaming 2.jpg
wasagaming 1.jpg

1 Like

Here is a picture of one of the other blooms that is opening
wasagaming 4.jpg

I would guess that it’s a color sport, too. Propagation will definitely be the trickiest part. It would be a good idea to mark the branch and prevent others from overgrowing it. You should try rooting cuttings, but yes, use as little growth as possible to get the job done (maybe two nodes above and one below, if that isn’t too much). Hopefully you’ll succeed, but plan as if you won’t. Let it grow further before trying that if you need to.

I have never rooted a rugosa before: a few suckers I have separated and potted up before. The only attempt at rooting cuttings was from my hybrid rugosa, and I have yet to succeed with it. Hopefully Wasagaming will prove easier than mine. Is their a trick to rooting rugosa hybrids? Should I try layering instead of a cutting?
I definitely don’t want to remove all the growth if I can help it. Perhaps your idea of letting it grow a bit first would be good.
At least I am not worried about losing it to cane dieback from cold.
Thanks for the thoughts!
Duane

There’s no trick to it, just a typically lower success rate. Rugosa hybrids can be a bit easier to root than the straight species, so that should be to your advantage here. Definitely use rooting hormone and don’t go overboard on moisture (use a light/porous rooting medium if you can, and consider using paper towels under the pot inside the bag or rooting environment to absorb excess moisture), keep it humid and bright, and cross your fingers. I don’t think that layering is likely to work as well with a rugosa, but I’ve never tried it. Doing that comes with its own risks, and I’ve lost branches of other plants in attempting to layer them, so it’s best attempted in less risky situations.