unknown Basye's amphidiploid rose.

Sometime in the mid to late 90s, someone sent me some open pollinated seeds from a Basye’s amphidiploid rose. Since then I have had a hard disk crash, and lost the information as to which one it is. Is the person who sent me the seeds still on the web or is someone who also received some of the seeds still on? If either, please let me know which amphidiploid I have.

Thank you,

Henry Kuska

Henry, is there any chance they could be from David H. Byrne from Texas A+M? i had some seedlings i grew from seeds he sent me. Sadly i don’t remember the rose they were from. i no longer have any of them as they couldn’t take the cold in zone 4, and were rather prone to mildew. i seem to remember the numbers “189”, or “89” being in the designation. Best, joe wright

Henry,

It was I who sent you the seeds of Bayse’s Amphidiploid. Did you get anything interesting from them?

I got the hips from Karl King…I wonder what ever happened to him, I did so enjoy his posts.

This particular amphidiploid was a seedling from a diploid rugosa x r. absynnica ( a musk rose) that turned out to be tetraploid. I still have one seedling from those seeds that looks identical to the photo in “Search for the Rose” by Martin & Rixx if my memory serves.

The rose is completely disease free and has large single pink flowers. My seedling is once blooming.

Randy

Thanks Randy. It came into its own this year. It survived our bad winter. It is about 5 feet tall. It has been disease free with single pink June flowers. The important thing is that the pollen took on everything except the corner telephone pole. I had found a web page that showed the leaf form for 2 of Bayse’s amphidiploids. It did not match either. Now, I now cannot find that web page???

I also have a second seedling, but it is a runt. It never has flowered.

Hi Henry, I also have an open pollinated seedling of Basye’s Amphidiploid (diploid rugosa x r. absynnica) that was given to me by Kim Rupert. Mine is white and is in it’s second flush of the season. The original cutting is in it’s second year and last year it only bloomed once. I am trying it as a seed parent. Thanks, Robert

Henry,

I think this is the page you’re thinking of. It shows two of Basye’s amphidiploids plus a mixoploid of R. roxburghii X R. laevigata. I believe that Basye produced three amphidiploids, the two colchicine-induced ones shown on this page, and the spontaneous amphidiploid of R. rugosa and R. abyssinica.

Link: aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/rose/ramfig.htm

From the 1987 American Rose Annual article it appears that it is R. abyssinica X R. rugosa. Basye numbered it 67-305.

Today I checked to see which pollens I used on it this year. They are:

two hips with R-15 pollen on 5-30-2003.

one hip with Culbert Grant pollen also on 5-30-2003.

one hip with (Rugelda X R-15) pollen on 6-02-2003.

one hip with Heritage pollen on 6-21-2003.

one hip with Rosenau pollen on 6-21-2003.

Many open pollinated hips.

The hips are small so there will not be many seeds per hip.