Total Rose Seed Beginner

I am a Horticulturist, and a Nursery Manager-- Having said that I have no experience growing roses from seed.

In addition to that I thought that I would try it out since I had some beautiful hips with some big plump seeds from open pollinated Blazing Orange Climber roses.

I harvested the seed today, cleaned them up, put them in a wax paper envelope and placed them in the fridge until I know what to do with them!

Please tell me what to do now----

Did I harvest the seeds too late??? Or am I ok–

What is next…

Anxiously waiting for advice.

Ryan

Orem, Utah

Good for you Ryan. This is how I started. RHA has references you can order to aid in your success. The forum search option offers past discussion via a keyword. You may wish to research your question on your own. ARS website also has information for beginners.

If it were me I would sow the seed in some good general purpose potting soil, lightly top dress with a bit of perlite, keep moist and wait. In my experience. Most seed takes about 8 weeks to begin germination. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It’s all good practice for growing out future planned crosses.

Growing roses from seed can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make it. You will find a great deal of advice here from past discussions if you access the keyword feature.

Happy roses, Robert

Hello Ryan, and welcome to the forum. You may find some useful information at the URL below as well.

One thing to note: harvesting seeds late in the Winter, especially in cold climates, there is some risk that the seeds within the hips may have been killed by hard freezes. It depends what the parent plant is, but generally the seeds of modern Hybrid Tea pedigree roses are more sensitive to freezing than the Old European types. You may find that seeds harvested this late in the year may not germinate well but give it a go, you have nothing to lose! Next year, try to get the seeds collected before freezes go below 28F, and store them in the fridge for the remainder of the Winter.

Good luck,

Paul

Link: www.paulbardenroses.com/seedproduction.2004.html

Ryan, two yrs ago in Jan or Feb, I did just the same. I didn’t expect anything to come of it, and I did take the opportunity to use it as a learning experience. What I learned was that it was fun, interesting, relatively inexpensive, and rose seedlings grow any number of ways, so try out several and find what is best for you. My starting in Feb., complete with stratification, meant that most of the germination occurred in April and June, which really was to warm. I did not know how many things love to eat little baby roses, like snails, aphids, rats, mice, and ground squirrels. And then the gophers finish them off if they make it that far. So yr # 3, and so far I have 495 (every seed is germinating) seedlings, they have been protected from everything, and many look like they are about to start sending up buds shoots, and it still is not taking up to much of my time. Every time I now have a question I use the SEARCH RHA function, and more times than not I find exactly what I was hoping to learn. I of course joined RHA and purchased the two manuals, which I have read more than once or twice each. Like Robert said, “It is as simple or complicated” as you want it to be, all the while giving you about all the challenge that you want. I might not want to get as ‘into’ the reinventing the rose as many people,and I am definately keeping it more simple, but I have already got a little more involved than I thought I would.

But be warned!!! It is addicitve and you will end up with red bloodshot eyes as you pour over HMF looking for useful information and then everytime you visit a nursery you’ll be looking at EVERY rose and thinking… hmmmm how can I use that… or hey… there’s a hip on that one… I’ll buy that and see what it’s like :slight_smile: I started the same as you and still have my very first ‘Black Velvet’ OP seedling that is coming up to 8 years old… the first one is always special even though it’s nothing special to look at (smells good though) and I’m still a newbie. And this year I’ll have several hundred seeds to sow when I harvest in May. Joining RHA was one of the best moves I think for moving forward at a faster rate and getting to know people and accessing information.

Have fun :slight_smile:

It’s not late–

take a few hips, open them up…

(everyone has their technique, but sometimes I simply bite him gently and then open them up with my hands.)

Put the seeds in a wet towel, put them in a baggie… and refrigerate them.

Each person has their own technique. Some sow them directly, others use chemicals to prevent mold and stuff. But if you’re starting and just want to see rose seedlings, that’s what I did.

It’s actually very easy with OP hips (although, it depends on which rose you’re taking it from…)

Walk around… stumble upon a rose with hips on it, go head and take one or two. I’ve raised a few seedlings in that way–just picking them off from roses as I walked in the neighborhood.

[edit] It is addicitve and you will end up with red bloodshot eyes as you USE TO BE ABLE TO pour over HMF looking for useful information…

The lineage function has just been made premium members ONLY. Nice shakes head :frowning:

Ryan, Since you are in Utah, and it is much colder there, if you should decide that you want to start some more or different rose seeds, and if yours have frozen beyond germinating,(cut a few open, and see if they are a light ivory, with a healthy embryo/endosperm) I have approx. 25-30+ hips that I didn’t get around to shelling, and if your interested, I would be happy to send them to you. I did just shell 80 more seeds last week because I read an interesting note about Sunny Side Up, and could not resist the idea of trying it this year as an O.P. But I swore I would not try to start another seed, so I’m on the verge of trashing the others. They are dry, but soaking them in plain water for three days turns them to mush, and they can be separated easily–that’s what I did last yr. and most of the seeds germinated.

Actually, I’ve found that in Colorado at least, you can get some good results just shelling the seeds and planting them in shallow pots. Most of them will have already been out in the cold for long enough. I just planted a boatload of Veilchenblau seeds yesterday, so in a month or so they should be sprouting.

Now if I can only keep the voles away from them!

Welcome to the Forum!

-Fa

***Jackie–

Due to spam(or so it says) I can not send you an email. I would like to see if you see have those seeds from Sunny Side Up–

I have bad news- I was getting ready to plant my seeds when I decided to cut a few seeds open to see if they were good. All of the seeds were hollow! The seeds looked good themselves so my guess is that my seeds did in fact become a victim to winter. UGH! I was really hoping that I could give it a try!

Let me know- I can pay for shipping/postage.

Ryan (Ryanferre@hotmail.com)-

Ryan,

I have a cross I made last year that repeats a cross I made in 2006. I decided not to sow this cross because I have plenty of seedlings from the first lot to sort through. Its a cross of ‘Golden Angel’ X L83, the latter being the Agriculture Canada Wichurana/Rugosa hybrid used to improve Winter hardiness and disease resistance. The goal of the cross is to introduce some yellow tones into the L83 line. These should be very Winter hardy. Would you like some of this cross to germinate and grow? I’ll gladly send you some.

Paul

Paul,

Jackie did just send me an email, so I will be getting some seeds from her. I am forever grateful.

I would never decline such an offer for even more crosses to begin my experience. In addition to managing a greenhouse- I also teach fourth grade. Wouldn’t it be cool if the students can take a rose home for Mother’s Day?

In short Paul- I would love some seeds.

I used to work for a local display garden- and we had a very large rose garden- I have to admit that my favorite rose out of all the roses there were some Rosa rugosa. They were simple but beautiful.

(Again I couldn’t respond directly to you because of the email function of the forum)

My email is Ryanferre@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Ryan