Tom's soulieana X arvensis hybrid

I honestly find this one fascinating. The petals have an interesting shape and the foliage is wonderful. How is the fragrance? I hope it combines the myrrh of arvensis descendants (the ashyres) and the cinnamon of Soulieana. How fertile is it? I am dieing to try some on a fedscht. hybrid.

On an unrelated note R foliolosa x begg. Will it have some nice thornless repeaters?

Link

Regarding the unrelated note:

I have several foliolosa x beggeriana and vice versa this year. However, my beggeriana is quite thorny and so are the seedlings. Neither my foliolosa or beggeriana do any repeating and in fact my beggeriana, which is now quite a large bush, had only about three blossoms this year. Therefore I’m a little disillusioned with beggeriana, at least the clone(s) that I have.

R. foliolosa, on the other hand, was one of my favorite seed parents this year and I have quite a few hips on it.

Thanks. I’ll play with foliolosa. I really like its leaves. Do you think bardens result is from the specie proper?

Anyone ever heard of Rosa oxyodon?

Hi SalixGoclon,

I honestly find this one fascinating. The petals have an interesting shape and the foliage is wonderful. How is the fragrance? I hope it combines the myrrh of arvensis descendants (the ashyres) and the cinnamon of Soulieana. How fertile is it? I am dieing to try some on a fedscht. hybrid.

Thanks! The fragrance was pretty nice - if I’m remembering right, it was very similar to a lot of the other Synstylae species. I tried germinating open-pollinated seed once and didn’t get any sprouts at all. Sadly this last one of the bunch is also now severely infected with Rose Rosette Disease. I’d have to say that soulieana and these F1’s were some of the most RRD-susceptible roses I’ve grown. They seem to be at least as susceptible as multiflora. Such a shame because as you noted, the foliage was really cool and the flowers weren’t too bad either.

Tom

Well I hope it can get better… I could try to recreate it, but that will be no time soon.

From the photos oxyodon appears to be one of a continuum of closely related Cinnamomeae that includes holodonta, moyesii, davidii and some others. When the DNA settles I think these will be found to be regional variants differing mostly in ploidy levels.

Davidii, in fact, is a parental F2 to Baby Love but any of these would be suitable foundation breeders provided you can locate cultivars adapted to your climate.

From my notes here are some moyesiis and allied roses that you can check out further on HMF:

Arthur Hillier
Eddie’s Crimson
Eddie’s Jewel
Eos
Fred Streeter
Freia (Hybrid Moyesii)
Geranium
Highdownensis
R. bella
R. davidii
R. macrophylla crasseaculeata (syn. setipoda Hemsley & E.H. Wilson)
R. moyesii
R. moyesii fargesii
R. moyesii ‘Regalia’
R. moyesii ‘Rosea’
R. moyesii ‘Sealing Wax’
R. moyesii ‘Superba’
R. multibracteata
R. saturata
R. sweginzowii
Rosa acicularis x Rosa moyesii
Rosa arkansana ‘Corsley Form’
Rosa moyesii hillieri
Rosa x “Nutcayesii”
Rosa x wintoniensis Hillier

Hi, Don: What is HMF referred to in the previous post?

Regards,

Mike (MoreViolas)

Hi Mike,

Don is referring to www.helpmefind.com. It is a great, great resource for researching roses. Getting a premium membership is pretty cheap and allows you to look at the parentage tree of any rose, as long as it is known. Also the descendants of each rose.

Joe

R. saturata sounds interesting…

To return to the original topic, maybe it would be worth recreating this rose with “String of Pearls” or Barden’s r.‘‘souliosa’’ x some ayrshire rose, or one of Louis Len’s hybrids with arvensis.