To Do This Year

I Need to do a lot of cuttings of some better seedlings. I have a photo of my micro misting system but it doesn’t upload, impressive when loaded three tiers.
And N-20 on HMF
roses 005.JPG
roses 001.JPG

Fun photos, Neil. Check the size of your photo. If you can save it as 300 dpi or “large web”, it should upload and open well when viewed.

Hi Kim,

I gave up, couldn’t even figure out how to transfer photo N-20 from HMF, not a high priority.

Here’s a part of a 6ft. lateral with thorns on Reine Des Violette I haven’t this happen before (sport?), no flower yet.

Thanks, Neil
Reine 001.JPG

Yup, I’ve had RdV throw prickly canes like that before. If you’d like to email me the photo you want posted, I’ll look at it to see why it won’t go then put it up for you.

Neil’s misting system after resizing.
[attachment=0]aquar007.jpg[/attachment]
aquar007.jpg

I need to work with this one. OP from Scarlet Knight. Shows dark blue when viewed with Congo Blue filter (LEE#181) and it sets seed. I’ll match it with another that shows darks blue. Never tried the pollen yet. Another good point is it fades to a nice brown.

I don’t inbreed.

Neil
2013 009.JPG

Interesting, Neil. It resembles LeGrice’s Jocelyn.

Neil, that’s a very attractive looking rose, I like it very much.

Thanks Terry,

Not much pollen on this one, so I’ll just see how far it goes and it’s growing in a bad spot. It does root ok in the mister, so the cuttings will go in a better spot.

Neil

Hi Kim,

As you probably know the blue filter kills all the green, yellow and red light so you can see the blue. Only on some reds and pinks. I prefer the dark blues rather than the light blues but I guess both ends could be worked.

Neil

the blue filter kills all the green, yellow and red light so you can see the blue.

Interesting strategy, assuming you are targeting blue pigmentation. Have you tried to distinguish cyanidin blue (the typical faded red bloom color) from cornflower blue, and have you used it to examine Sterling Silver or it’s offspring or, say, Vielchenblau?

Hi Don,

Yes, one of the targets is blue pigment. Working with the high end of the spectrum, a step up is fade to brown rather black and crispy. I’m not at the point of splitting hair on what color blue just what is the most apparent with the unaided eye when in full bloom. I don’t have SS but do see some light blues on other plants and Vielchenblau has some negative traits I stay away from. Thanks for your interest.

Neil

Neil, instead of Sterling Silver, you should probably take a look at Blue Bayou, Novalis (Poseidon), perhaps Blue for You for your “blue” source. All three are incredible improvements over SS in EVERY way. Both of the lighter ones are receiving very good press in the gardening internet world for their “blue” color, health and vigor. Blue for You is absolutely bullet proof in my climate. The first two aren’t patented from what I can determine. Blue for You is. I can report it roots easily and grows well own root, though. Sterling is a sentimental favorite and belongs in “museum collections”. For breeding, it’s probably as unworthy as Angel Farce.

Yes, one of the targets is blue pigment.

The 181 Congo Blue filter won’t do it for you. It cuts out wavelengths above 500 nm, you need to be able to see wavelengths up to about 550 nm. See the chart on page 2, bottom right starting with delphinidin-3-gulcoside:

http://holeman.org/Dons%20Handy%20Rose%20Pigment%20Color%20Chart.pdf

After perusing the transmission spectra of the various Lee filters it looks like the best choice would be Berry Blue, #721. This passes the blues of interest and does a better job of blocking everything else up way up into the far red.

I don’t have time to get into this more deeply because I’m in the middle of germinations but see my article on rose pigments for context:

http://holeman.org/Fun%20with%20Colors.pdf

Kim, Blue Bayou might work. Looks like the blue is on the inside petals whereas mine shows on the outside petals. Plus a lot of pollen and a modern petal shape.

Blue for You also looks good and would probably add to my population of seedlings with good and better regional horizontal resistance.

Thanks,
Neil

[quote The 181 Congo Blue filter won’t do it for you.[/quote]

Just seen the post from Don.

On bright days Congo Blue allows your eyes to see in the IF band which starts at 700nm and works just fine.

I may have tried Lee#120 which allows much deeper than 720nm in the IF. Sure you can see but not with much clarity.

Neil

I don’t understand why you want to see into the infra-red?

I don’t especially for this purpose.

Free swatch books available from dealers.Dealer Locator Worldwide - Lee Filters

Neil