Three new species roses

I’ve managed to get hold of three new species roses that I had not heard of before. They are Rosa transmorrisonensis, sambucina, and pricei.

All I know so far is that they are from Taiwan and Japan. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? I know transmorrisonensis is a dwarf rose that looks kind of interesting (see link). The other two are very large climbers.

Link: www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=17457752@N00&q=transmorrisonensis&m=text

All I know on these come from the china rose section found on this site.

Link: www.efloras.org/

I just got R. transmorrisonensis myself. I don’t know much about it, other than that it is a dwarf evergreen species native to the mountains of Taiwan and the Philippines. It is called the ‘Yushan Rose’ in Taiwan and ‘Pauikan’ in the Philippines. Here is some info about it in the Philippines:

Link: www.indi-journal.info/archives/2440

Perhaps Simon you could email some of the people who have these growing in their gardens on help me find and find out a little more.

omg, I forgot. I have friends in the Phillipines. It never occured to me to ask if they know any species there.

Great link Jim. It has most interesting hips don’t you think (transmorrisonensis that is)? The evergreen and dwarf habits are what interests me about this rose though conservation is also of interest given its endangered status.

Adam, I’m going to contact the owner of the flickr account above too see if they can pass on any information about it. I’d really like to know whether the thickets are formed from suckering or from seed dispersal though I have a feeling it might be through ‘touch downs’ rooting and growing into new plants… laevigata-style.

Michael, the Phillipines is the last place I would think of to look for roses!

According to the source in the link below all three species are members of the Synstylae section.

Link: www.efloras.org/browse.aspx?flora_id=2&start_taxon_id=304114

According to Martyn Rix, R. transmorrisonensis is a member of the Sericeae section. The best known member of this section is R. sericea pteracantha, noted for its huge red thorns.

Link: www.rogersroses.com/authnotes/notes/Wild%20Roses%20in%20China.pdf

I saw that morrisonensis was a member of the Sericeae section and is called Rosa sericea var. morrisonensis so I thought that R. transmorrisonensis was part of the same section too. However, I have not been able to find any other reference supporting this theory… yet.