Tag, you're it.

One of my Sericea cultivars.

Cool Don!

Looks like you can just save it for Christmas!

Jim Sproul

What a beautiful sight. Is that a reddish/purple bloom on the top left and looks like the others are white, Do the blooms fade?

Patrick

The pink bloom is R. moyesii, in a pot behind the Sericea which has white petals. I’m not certain exactly which form of moyesii it is, actually. The rosarian for Elizabeth Park, where I got the start from, called it ‘rubra’ but there is no record of any R. moyesii ‘rubra’ that I can find. It’s more pink than red, but the color varies with temperature. The hips are dull purple-red and it is completely thornless so far, which I still have to confirm on the original plant.

Wow! Are you growing yellow tags? That is alot of pollination of crosses! Tell me, can a rose bush handle that many pollinations, especially being in a pot? I have mostly hybrid teas and I can only do 2 or 3 per bush, I would like to do more but I am afraid it would weaken the bush somehow. And I would love to do as many as you have there for I have alot of blooms this year for some reason, perhaps because of all the snow we got this winter.

can a rose bush handle that many pollinations, especially being in a pot?

We’ll find out!

Even if I hadn’t made the crosses hips would form anyway by self-pollination. By past experience with Sericea pollen on modern roses, though, chances are good that that there won’t actually be very many hybrid hips due to genetic incompatibility.

Maybe its R. moy. rosea?

Ive always wanted tot ry out fargesii

Don, hopefully many of those crosses will be successful - best wishes!

Jeanie, some roses can produce an amazing number of hips on a single plant, even in a pot!

Jim Sproul

Even if I hadn’t made the crosses hips would form anyway by self-pollination.

Jeanie, some roses can produce an amazing number of hips on a single plant, even in a pot!

This is so true, I do recall seeing pics of rose bushes with many many hips. Well I better get going, I have alot of pollinations to do… Good luck with your crosses there Don!