Sowing seed in OZ

Sowed this batch of seed today.

(Wendy X Altissimo) X R. davidii

(Wendy X Altissimo) X R. Sweginzowii

(Wendy X Altissimo) X Canary Bird

Gemini X Sutters Gold

Sutters Gold X Peace

Sutters Gold X (Queen Elizabeth X Lyon Rose)

Carefree Beauty X Old Port

Baronne Ed Rothschild X Troika

Sutters Gold X Angele Pernet

Baronne Ed Rothschild X Vienna Charm

[(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme Caroline Testou) X [(( Wendy X (Europeana X Othello))X Dr Verhage]]

La Vesuve X Unk Dark yellow Grandiflora

I particularly like the idea of your “Carefree Beauty X Old Port” seed.

I got some CB budwood posted to me by a gent selling it a few km to the north of me a few weeks back. I tried to top work the buds onto an unwanted rose bush (I had no pre-struck rootstock), and… all the T-buds died LOL!!!

I think I’ll buy a CB plant as soon as I can get hold of someone’s car to drive there, LOL…or maybe just have him post me one bare-rooted CB in a few months time, saves me the trip!!

I thought it would produce something quite nice, maybe a lilac or purple. One thing that I have noticed is, CB needs a bit of encouragement in the petal department and by using old port could add a few more petals,(maybe).

It sounds like a potentially delicious and healthy cross, good luck.

Have 56 lots of seed to get in the fridg. with calcium nitrate and see if they germinate and have time to grow. Should be four more lots, but they have a way of losing themselves in a pocket. Hope to get some different genetic material from some of these. Branching out and looking for something different. Neil

sowed this seed today now for the wait.

(Wendy X Altissimo) X Berolina

Ten Thousand Lights X David Lowing

(Wendy X Altissimo) X Veilchenblau

Overlander X Ophelia

(Wendy X Altissimo) X R. davidii

Gemini X sport of Charlotte Graham

Bon Silene X Safmut

Arahan X Mermaid

Gemini X Troika

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme Caroline Testou) X Ophelia

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme Caroline Testou) X Gloire De Dijon

Gemini X Arjuna

Gemin X Dk Red unk HT

Ithaca X Safmut

Dandy Andy X R. sweginzowii

This year I have decided to utilise Bill Radler’s method of cold stratification, it rather suits me (I have finally totally lost my previous “addiction/compulsion” to embryo culturing unstratified seed…a total conversion of philosophy now to “patience is a virtue” LOL).

Using Bill’s method (or as close as I can approximate it), I have so far got this one germination of my Basye’s Legacy XOP batch (something in the order of ~200 seeds).

This one seed took well over 4 months to sprout in the fridge (I am quite ok with that, have plenty of time to wait, even years!!).

I sowed it a few days back, and it has popped its head up out of the germination media (cotyledons are still enclosed in their achene covering… LOL!!).

I know I shouldn’t, I but I have to try picking off the achene covering. Sometimes I end up snapping the poor guy off below the cotyledons.

LOL… been there done that (and usually very sorry afterwards).

I guess most of us love pix (even if they are not the best quality), so here is a snap of that emerging “seedling” taken this morning, just for the fun of it (I will not be tinkering with its “shell”, it is sooooooooo delicate…the slightest movement the wrong way and it will definitely snap).

It is located sorta to the right and up of centre, (the vertical object to the extreme right of the seed is a wooden toothpick which I used to mark its approximate position at the time of sowing it).

[attachment 490 Picture21.jpg]

Joe, When I used the Calcium Nitrate, I opened many achenes and removed the inner covering also–it did take a little practice and I had to use reading glasses. The nitrate seemed to at least semi disolve if not totally disolve the ‘seam’. What was really handy was a strong set of thumb nails and careful prying. I did have a purpose in doing this since I have experienced a high amount of botrytis growth on achenes and testae. Removing them did help a lot, but i usually did not try this without some root growth. Note the (there is a matching pair) nail.

[attachment 491 2012GeminixMMonroe234.jpg]

Just sowed these crosses this morning.

(Wendy X Gold Bunny) X R. Sweginzowii

Baronne Ed Rothschild X China Sunrise

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X Lamarque

(Wendy X Abraham Darby) X R. forrestiana

Ten Thousand Lights X Dr A J Verhage

(Wendy X Gold Bunny) X R. Davidii

Great Southern Skies X Angele Pernet

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X Lady Hillingdon

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X Honor

Baronne Ed Rothschild X (( Wendy X (Europeana X Othello) X Dr AJ Verhage)

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X Bon Silene

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X Mme Lombard

The Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou I use a lot because it gives fantastic results and was used in the creation of Snap Shot, Dama Del Lago and Dollar Secret

Sowed seeds of these crosses today.

(Wendy X Altissimo) X Eyes for You – (Although the Wendy cross is a single its growth should strengthen the seedlings)

Unk Dk Pink Heavy perfumed HT X Selfridges – (Selfridges was used mainly to strengthen what seedlings were produced as the unknown is a bit twiggy for my likeing)

Queen Elizabeth X Vienna Charm

99 % of seed now sown, did these few today

(Wendy X Abraham Darby) X Mermaid

[(Wendy X ( Europeana X Othello)) X Dr A J Verhage] X Unk Bi Coloured HT

Bonsilene X Chrysler Imperial

( Wendy X Gold Bunny) X Eyes For You

Queen Elizabeth Crossed with all of the below

Breath Of Life

Unk Bicoloured HT

Lions Rose

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mutabilis)

High Roller