Source for mossed miniatures

Hi I’m new here and to hybridizing. To date I’ve only done some dabbling with rugosa and hardy shrub roses in zone 4 Minneapolis. I’m looking to work with mossing in an attempt to get a zone 4 hardy moss with good repeat. From my reading of previous posts it looks like that is a rough row to hoe but I want to give it a shot. I’m looking for mossed breeding stock and am having little luck locating scarlet moss, fairy moss, or other potential breeding stock. I have reached out to the nurseries in HMF but haven’t got any replies. I,m also looking for a source for the French yellow blend rugosa hybrid Bernadette Chirac by Delbert.
Thanks for any suggestions I am learning a lot from this forum.

Hi Tim, you don’t indicate where you live (US? Canada? Europe? etc.) which makes a huge difference. If you’re in the US, probably the final remaining decent source of minis is Burlington Roses in Visalia, CA. Burling did the breeding, propagation and MANY other chores at Sequoia Nursery for over thirty-five years and still offers many of the Sequoia minis. Not many mosses, though, unfortunately, but she would be the one to contact for special things like you are seeking. I understand your frustration. I’ve sought Fairy Moss for several years now in hopes of using it with Minutifolia to see “what if?”. The only named moss I have maintained is the one Mr. Moore named for me, for obvious reasons. I can probably share cuttings from it in spring if you can root them. As it is half Golden Angel, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a fertile triploid as many of its offspring continue the triploid trait. 'Kim Rupert' Rose

Kim
Thank you for your reply. I live in western Wisconsin just outside of The Twin Cities. I dis email Burlington nursery and will try calling after the thanksgiving holiday. I’ve also emailed the heather farm in B.C. But their site says they only ship within Canada. https://www.theheatherfarm.com. They do list many of Mr. Moore’s miniatures. Frazier valley roses is also a B.C firm and they too Cary many of the Moore mosses. Again they only ship in Canada. About Us – Fraser Valley Rose Farm They also say on the site that they wish to exchange roses with others to preserve important cultivars.
I will focus on these three.
I am confused as to the name of the Burlington nursery owner is the las or first name Burlington and are they male or female. I want to be sure my correspondence is correct.

On a side not I picked up above and beyond and will be using its pollen on coral cove and campfire this spring in an attempt to get a larger repeat blooming shrub good in zone 4.
Thanks again.

I apologize for the typos I should preview before I post

Thanks, Tim. Burling is female. Burlington is the name of her nursery. She’s lovely, but terribly over worked. She is a one person operation and how she handles it all is beyond me! I hope you’re able to get some response from the Canadian nurseries. There ARE many of Mr. Moore’s roses in gardens, but accessing them is the issue. Unfortunately, very many of those gardens are where chilli thrips are now an extreme issue, so even if the owners are willing, potentially spreading the thrips would be troublesome. Perhaps there might be an RHA member who lives close enough to the border to make a hand-off to another member close enough from this side? One can hope!

Unconditional Love at Rogue Valley Roses is a possibility. Unconditional Love™ – Rogue Valley Roses

Mark

IF, and it appears from the complaints posted to Face Book and Houzz that might be a LARGE “IF”, you receive the rose you ordered from RVR. One frequent purchaser from them I know in Idaho states she received a full 50% mis named roses this year, higher than previously. She purchases MANY roses annually and has a huge garden.

I have a 3 year-old plant of Strawberry Swirl, a striped mini with moss characteristics that I was considering giving away this winter. If you’re interested Tim let me know.
Stephen
Strawberry Swirl 2.JPG

Yes I would be. Of course I’d gladly pay the shipping and handling. Not sure of the best time as we are soon to be going below 32F in the coming weeks.

Burlington’s 2020 miniature list shows Rose Gilardi and Scarlet Moss in stock. Of course you need to contact her to be sure they are still available, but at least that’s two which have been heavily used for breeding.

Kim,
I did receive a reply and will be ordering several of both ASAP.
I saw also Paul Bardon’s lemon moss on another website but that does not seem to be for sale anywhere. There seems to be a general unavailability of yellow repeating mosses.
Tim

I’m glad you were able to score some of them. It’s honestly sad how little is available now compared to twenty-five years ago.

I just want to 2nd Kim’s “avoid the Chilli thrips at all costs” comment. Last winter, I learned about Chilli thrips, and thought that the damage resembled some damage that had appeared in my garden in the fall following some spring acquisitions. After heavy rains this September, and the resultant Lush New Growth, I think it’s unquestionable that I now have a pretty severe case of them. I will no longer be able to exchange or share anything beyond cleaned seeds as I am determined not to spread them. I have one or two young plants that have been pretty much decimated. They are not something to take lightly.

I’m so sorry, Philip. I’ve seen their damage when visiting in Los Angeles and San Gabriel Counties after leaving the area. I read people writing “I treat my roses as spring flowering only so I don’t have to spray” and think, why grow roses then?

I am no spray, and when the Roses aren’t putting out lush New Growth, the damage seems to be minimal thus far. I assume that I have some natural predators that can keep them down to a dull Roar, barring ideal conditions for them. I am going to persist for now; in view of my extensive collection, the idea of quitting altogether does not appeal to me in the least. I have suspicions as to the source of Chilli thrips, but nothing definitive. I would just urge caution to all others.

What I do wonder about, is how will I ever be able to evaluate a seedlings performance? And for that matter, is there a safe means to ever distribute them elsewhere for testing?

Yes to both of your questions. As the thrips are insects, you simply have to use whatever thermonuclear products required to eliminate them in your test beds and for any material you wish to share with others. Nurseries are required to spray their plants prior to moving them to other locations. Dr. Manners is required to spray all of the plants he mails out or physically takes with him to rose events. It CAN be done, but it requires you expose yourself and your yard to those chemicals. Some feel using Spinosad is sufficient to suppress them sufficiently for their enjoyment, however that isn’t sufficient to legally move any material from CT areas. So, yes, you can evaluate seedlings and live with the Chilli Thrips, as long as you are willing to spray what’s required to eliminate them.

Tim - I sent you a private message. Stephen