Some rugosa seedlings

In 2021 I made some rugosa crosses that germinated in 2022. This one is a one year old Kirovsk x Abraham Darby. The seedling is vigorous and healthy. It hasn’t bloomed yet.

I live in northern Finland and the goal is to create new types of hardy roses that are winter-hardy here in the north.

4 Likes

One year old Kirovsk x Party Hardy (Hybrid kordesii, Marie Victorin x unknown).

3 Likes

One year old Will Alderman x William Baffin. Vigorous and healthy seedling.

4 Likes

A little over a year old seedling from the cross Kirovsk (hybrid rugosa)x Minette (hybrid damascena). The rose looks like Minette. Kirovsk’s features are hardly visible at all. There is a little rugosa character in the leaves. Let’s see what kind of flowers this will be?

4 Likes

Congratulations!
It’s so interesting to see how the foliage turned out on all these different crosses. They all look very healthy! I hope they continue to do well.
I had never heard of the rose Kirovsk and I would love to learn more about her. She does have a brief HMF listing but unfortunately no pictures there. It would be great to see what that one looks like. I bet Kirovsk must have good qualities since you seem to be using her quite a bit as a seed parent!

The history of Kirovsk rose originate in northern Russia, mainly from the Kirovsk Botanical Garden, where the Finnish Tornio City Gardener Raimo Lindqvist got seeds in the 1990s. The species were among others R.rugosa, majalis and nitida. The first roses were grown in a city garden, and the best ones were planted and later planted in city parks and arboretum.

Kirovsk is a healthy, winter-hardy rose that blooms early and for a long time. The flowers have a good scent and form plenty of seeds. Here are a couple of links to pages that have information about the rose. You can translate them into English using Google Translate.

https://www.rugosaroser.dk/kirovsk
https://rosen-kultur.de/kirovsk.html

1 Like

This one is Rotes Meer x John Davis.

2 Likes

Lac Majeau x Campfire

1 Like

Thank you for that! Kirovsk looks wonderful.

Dart’s Defender (nitida x Hansa) is an easy seed parent. It will accept pollen from almost any rose. Hips mature quickly and a lot of easily germinating seeds are formed. Dart’s Defender is very winter hardy. The rose has shiny leaves and the flowers are medium-sized, semi-double, fragrant and resistant to rain.

The picture shows a Dart’s Defender hip pollinated with Splendens x Above and Beyond rose pollen a week ago.

4 Likes

I use Dart’s Defender as a seed mother and I agree, it is an easy seed mother. I have noticed however that it aborts half of the hips when they start to get plump (it really doesn’t matter because the other hips contain lots of seed). I have the mother in a pot that i put into the greenhouse while pollinating. The plants are fine and healthy but I sometimes have the feeling that underneath the good mine it detests the greenhouse environment and protests in this way.

The descendants most often inherited the glossy leaves and none of them have yet flowered (oldest are since 2017/2018). While I am waiting for flowers I select for vigour and I have a few that I am excited for (x Aicha and x hulthemia hybrids) but many are gone to the compost as they did not grow sufficiently. When I crossed it with a rugosa hybrid it had a lot more vigour but as I am trying to move a little from the rugosas I couldn’t afford the space.

Thank you for a very interesting and an inspiring thread.

Hjörtur

3 Likes

Amazing foliage!
Stephen

1 Like

Will Alderman x John Davis first bloom. The flower is small and single. Growth is slow. The seedling reminds me of a miniature rose.

4 Likes

Hybrid rugosa Fredrik Hellstrand (Louise Bugnet x op). The rose has been considered sterile as it has never produced hips. I tested it this summer with pollen from roses that are considered good pollinators and one combination produced results. Pollination with Rosa Splendens (francofurtana/gallica) seems to have succeeded. I will have to continue the experiments next summer

5 Likes

In 2019, 16 seeds germinated from the cross between Rotes Meer x Betty. Rotes Meer is a hybrid rugosa and Betty is an unidentified natural rose hybrid. Probably between cinnamomea and acicularis roses. The offspring are extremely winter-hardy and healthy. The shoots, leaves and growth habit are inherited from Betty while almost all of the offspring’s flowers resemble more or less Rotes Meer’s flowers. The offspring appear to be sterile except for one. This offspring no.15 produces open-pollinated hips and appears to have accepted both Olkkala (francofurtana/gallica) and (Splendens x Above and Beyond) roses’ pollen. Let’s see if the seeds germinate and if there are fertile tetraploids or triploids among the offspring, which could be crossed with modern roses such as Abraham Darby etc.

5 Likes