Should we soak our seeds in Soy Sauce?

Title: DNA breaking activity and mutagenicity of soy sauce: characterization of the active components and identification of 4-hydroxy-5-methyl-3(2H)-furanone.

Authors: Hiramoto, Kazuyuki; Sekiguchi, Kaoru; Ayuha, Kaoru; Aso-o, Reiko; Moriya, Natsuko; Kato, Tetsuta; Kikugawa, Kiyomi.

Authors affiliation: Tokyo College of Pharmacy, 1432-1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan.

Published in: Mutation Research, volumn 359, pages 119-132, (1996)…

Abstract: "Soy sauce is a seasoning consumed widely in Southeast Asia. When super-coiled DNA was incubated with soy sauce at pH 7.4 and 37

Yikes Henry I need you to answer the question for me. Do I need to lay in a supply of Soy Sauce? I couldn’t make heads or tails out of what they said.

I assume that commercial soy sauce contains a large amount of common salt which would inhibit germination and growth. I would “guess” that one would have to devise a method where one could expose the seed possibly right after germination for some period of growth and then remove the possibly harmful ingredients. If anyone wanted to try I suggest buying commercial “sprouts” seeds for salads from your local supermarket. This is what I do before I test a new seed treating procedure. If it doesn’t work with salad sprouts, then I assume that the method will not work with rose sprouts.

Thanks Henry sounds like a good suggestion

I think you’ll probably end up with something more fit for a wok than for planting if you do that… Yum, marinated rose sprouts! Maybe it’s possible to ferment your own soy product at home instead. Tofu might be a good source for an easily fermented raw soya curd with low salt content. I don’t know anything about the particulars of fermenting soy for culinary purposes, but if it needed some sort of “starter” perhaps there are some fermented soy products that are sufficiently raw/unprocessed to provide that function - like whole fermented black beans, perhaps. A little, even if salted, might take it in the right direction without making the resulting substance toxic to plants. It’s just a thought.