Seeds going into Stratification for 2013.

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X Kronenburg

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X Dr A J Verhage

(Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou) X (Sympathie X R. Virginiana)

Charles Austin X ( Mimas X R. Virginiana)

Put these seed into stratification today.

Sympathie X ( Mimas X R. Virginiana)

Sympathie X Master Hugh

Sympathie X (Carefree Beauty X Old Port)

Sympathie X R sweginzowii

Can’t wait to see photos of those babies. You have a lot going on there, Warren, and I imagine some of those will be pretty healthy.

I’m intrigued by your experimenting with R sweginzowii. Is yours the true pink form? Hips looking almost like fuchsia blossoms? And when I read that it is “glandular” do I understand it to have fragrant glands?

…And I think there was conjecturing on another post, but does it typically have even meiosis?

Phill the R sweginzowii I have is the true pink form, and hips that resemble fushia flowers. I dont know of the frangrant glands I will have to check that one out next Spring when it starts to flower. It is a 3+3 hexaploid.

Just put these into the fridge

Charles Austin X Master Hugh

" It is a 3+3 hexaploid"

That’s what I thought, and I was wondering how readily that aligns with most of the roses out there today. My thoughts (based entirely on ignorance of the matter, admittedly) were that since it normally did an even meiosis, it might be a little more reluctant to align with, say, a diploid, as readily as a canninae, but I really have no clue. So I was wondering if it would be a little more difficult to get a viable cross.

But I love at the prospect of such, and I’m definitely keeping my fingers crossed.

(Roses don’t understand genetics any better than I do, so they frequently go ahead and do their own thing anyway.)

Good luck with all of those!

Phil, the way I look at it and others may view this differently is.

R. sweginzowii 3+3 crossed with these would probably have an outcome like this.

Modern tetraploid 2+2 offspring would be pentaploid 4+1

Diploid species and cultivars 1+1 offspring would be tetraploid 3+1

Canina types used as a pollinator with 3+1, 4+1 and 5+1 , the offspring would be similar to the above in makeup.

As I said others may disagree, but this in my mind would happen. You have to aware of the end result when using unusual ploidy roses for the F2 crossing.

Interesting. I hadn’t considered they might shift to a representative split like the Caninae for a pentaploid. If the F1’s are fertile, that could give some very interesting prospects.

I wonder if modern roses having a little caninae in them would be more accommodating in those crosses?

Well, I don’t reckon roses would be good at doing the math, but I sure do wish you great success! I think you could get some pretty neat results if they take.

Please remember to keep us posted on the outcomes! Thanks.

Phil

Interesting. I hadn’t considered they might shift to a representative split like the Caninae for a pentaploid

I am going on the works of past geneticists on this one, it sort of gives you an idea whats going on or why things may fail. I still have to get these little blighters to germinate first before I think ahead of what to do.

Seeds going into the fridge today

Baronne Ed Rothschild X Pat Austin

Baronne Ed Rothschild X Unknown mid red HT

Gemini X Dr A J Verhage

Gemini X Blue Moon

Gemini X Peace

One lonesome big seed of this Sympathie X Widgee Didgee went into the fridge today, I hope it produces something nice.

A couple of more crosses going into the cooler

Baronne Ed Rothschild X Widgee Didgee

Charles Austin X Master Hugh the second batch

Graham Thomas X (Symathie X R. virginiana)

It makes sense too. After all, those crosses are essentially similar to the presumed origins of the Caninae, no?

I have no idea what it means, but Widgee Didgee just sounds like Austryne. LOL.

Look forward to photos of those, Warren.

Phil, the company I work for have a large farming property out west called Wingadee, when I first started I could n’t remember the name so I nicknamed it Widgee Didgee. Every one at work had a laugh.

Mme Lombard X Duplex

(Queen Elizabeth X Xanda) went into the fridge today

Warren, I am loving all the varieties you are getting out of Curly Pink’s Pollen. Xanda looks awesome - from the photo on hmf it looks to be a red version of Curly Pink. I can’t wait to see what you get out of it when a little Queen Elizabeth is added into the mix.

Andre,

Have you tried crossing Lafter with Curly Pink? I’m curious as I’m thinking of trying that cross myself.

I don’t know if I ever have tried that cross but I do see a lot of potential with that one. Curly Pink could add a lot more petals, Lafter should produce interesting colors and vigorous growth, and both should add some very good disease resistance. I say go for it with Lafter as seed parent Curly Pink is pretty reluctant as seed parent. I think I may have to try that combo myself.