Seedling Vigor / Early Flowering

I’m just curious if anybody has formally or informally correlated how quickly a seedling starts to flower with any potential future desirable characteristics? I ask, because I currently have a 23 day old Kardinal 85 x Papa Meilland seedling that seems rather precocious (well, to me anyway with very little experience…)

Add images

2 Likes

Actually? No. Many have flowered very early and gone on to be really “meh”. Others have flowered early and proved themselves rather nice. I’ve not observed any correlation between early flowering and eventual value.

1 Like

开花越早,开花性越好,5片叶子以下开花,证明复花性很可靠。5片以上,复花性为一般,差,很差,非常差,叶子越多开花,开花性越差。有的,一季花The earlier flowering, the better flowering, flowering less than 5 leaves, proving that diflorism is very reliable. More than 5 pieces, compound flowering is average, poor, very poor, the more flowering leaves, the worse flowering. Yes, one season flowers

3 Likes

There was some work done in the Netherlands for cut rose breeding and they found those that bloomed earlier tended to have faster cycle times coming into bloom more quickly again. If I remember right, the stems tended to be shorter though too.

2 Likes

Interesting that you should mention that the study considered florist roses, since the mother here is Kardinal ‘85, which I believe was originally released as a florist rose. The target here is the almost constant blooming of Kardinal, with the size and substance of Papa M.

1 Like