Seedling size and caracteristics?

Hello everyone,

I am new in the group and I started trying rose crossbreeding last year here in Scandinavia. I have many seedlings that are doing well and flowering for me this season. But I would like to know if my first small roses will change form, size, shape and colour after some years. Is there anyone who could help with information about it? How do you choose the good ones from the “not so good” seedlings?

1 Like

Hello roseral!
Congratulations on your success in rose hybridization. Indeed, most seedlings will change bloom size, blossom filling, bloom shape and color with the ongoing development. Some more and some less. The overall growth architecture will not change significantly, apart from the size.
In my experience, seedlings that have no fragrance when they first flower will continue to have no scent. Otherwise, an existing perfume often becomes even more intense as the plant matures.

I execute my selection according to the following criteria:
Growth vigor and health come first, followed by growth habit. The other characteristics depend on the respective breeding goal and, of course, the personal preference. There are no specific guidelines.

In practice, however, this means that poorly and fragile seedlings that are struggling or have a weird growth habit are discarded first. A further fine selection is then made gradually.

For additional references and information, this forum offers lots of very helpful advice. Just search under the wanted keyword.

I would be pleased if I could give you some initial pointers.

1 Like

Hello Roseus,

Thank you so much for the quick reply and very good information. It is much appreciated!
It is nice to know that what I see in the first bloom, gives me an indication on how the flower will mature, and if it gets bigger and better than it is worth waiting.
I will discard the ones that are weak or for some reason did not develop as a healthy little plant. You know, sometimes one wishes to give the little plant a chance, but I understand that these will not grow as expected. I will definitely follow your selection criteria, which somehow helps me decrease the amount of seedlings that can be overwhelming in numbers to start with.

My first little rose plant is fortunately very healthy, has a nice yellow flower and, as I used my living room to grow it during the winter, I could smell and strong fragrance coming from it. Great that it might get even better with time.

Again thank you for your reply and for sharing your experiences.

1 Like