Season 2023/2024

Warm Welcome x New Imagine second and third flower.

8 Likes

I am so excited to see GERMINATION! The real surprise was the *masses of seedlings* from my misID’d Barbier rambler (flowers of almost 4” diameter preclude it being correctly labelled), and also from Alchymist. Mutabilis has a number of swiftly-growing seedlings showing too. Now the hard part: deciding how strictly I am going to select for precocious-blooming…
4 Likes

Today I would like to show a seedling of a special cross of ‘Indigo’ X R. virginiana. It is the only one that has germinated. As with most Portland roses seedlings, flowering can be expected next year at the earliest. The short distances between the internodes indicate that it will not grow into a gigantic rose. In any case, I look forward to its further development and will keep you all up to date.

9 Likes

Midnight Blue OP (Probabbly Paul Chazenne or New Imagine who stood next to it)

9 Likes

Beautiful! I hope you find it more disease resistant than Midnight Blue.

1 Like

Looks like a ROCK STAR!

1 Like

Several impressions for enthusiasts of species crosses in roses:
From a large batch of seedlings of the cross: R.foliolosa X R.stellata ‘Mirifica’ I have selected two vigorous and interesting seedlings for presentation. The leaves are rather thick and strong. I am excited to see how they will develop further.

5 Likes

Love that cross! Do you see any traits from mirifica in it?

1 Like

RosariumRob, many thanks for interest. The obvious characteristics of the shown seedlings can at the moment still be attributed to R. foliolosa.

However, I can almost exclude self-pollination because I have been breeding with
R. foliolosa for several years and have not yet achieved any planned or controlled self-pollination progeny that was nearly as strong and solid in growth as these offsprings. Within the short time of showing they have already grown considerably again, also the root growth matches the overall architecture. All R. foliolosa selfs were sparse, weak and not very vigorous. As a result, they had a very poor root system which led to diseases, so they are no longer present.

From my point of view it is likely that in this case ‘Mirifica’ is really involved in the gene structure. Another indication could be that the reverse crossing has also led to a successful germination rate. A surprisingly high number of seedlings have emerged from ‘Mirifica’ als mother plant. Some still appear occasionally. The genes of both parent roses seem to correspond.

According to my experience with species seedlings in general, the option is well given that further development and especially new shoots could show more signs of hybridity. In case of need, I will use the help of a F2 generation for proof.

1 Like

Westerland x New Imagine

It is a tiny one but looks like fire and lava. Lets hope the second bloom will be great.

13 Likes

EbbTide x Trendy Babylon Eyes

8 Likes

Fantastic! Is there fragrance?

1 Like

First BUD spotted! It’s an OP of ‘Mutabilis’, and it’s teeny.

6 Likes

This year’s group got planted outside today. There’s one with bluish green foliage.

8 Likes

Wow - I would love a result like this!
Stephen

3 Likes

Thanks, I don’t know how the bluish green foliage happened. Parents are NOT.

1 Like

EbbTide x New Imagine

7 Likes

Great color. What a bevy of beauties you have created, TimoNL!

1 Like

Blue for You x For Your Eyez (Or a babylon eyes, need to check the label tomorrow again, i forgot)

7 Likes

Such a beautiful and perfect red rose.