Rose rosette disease

Last summer I noticed the distinct symptoms of rose rosette disease on several plants at a local rose garden – they showed the typical witches brooming with small, contorted leaves etc. I expected this year to see more symptoms on more plants, but so far all of the plants which showed lots of symptoms last year look perfectly healthy this year. The individual canes which showed the disease symptoms seem to have died, but the rest of the plant is producing seemingly normal growth.

So, my questions is, can roses sometimes recover from rose rosette disease or will symptoms only start showing up again later in the summer? Or, finally, is it possible that the symptoms I saw were caused by something else entirely?

Joseph Tychonievich

Maybe it was herbicide damage.

Maybe you san the gals of the galwasp Diplolepis rosae? it looks a bit like a mass of very small distorted leaves, but it isn’t. You can find many pictures on google.

There may be some growth styles that let plants survive.

I have been watching a local massive gallica that had RRD at one end.(Multiple symptoms) When we warned the owner, he had his son dig up the sick end. The other end of the plant still seems to be healthy.

A rose near a local cemetery (covered about thirty feet of a fence) had RRD in the middle. That part died (with the help of roundup applied about a year after the RRD appeared), and the bush survives at the ends of the fence, but no longer covers the middle.

Field Roebuck near Dallas has reported that a local New Dawn was cut back and the resulting bush has not shown signs of RRD; that cut back doesn’t work on any New Dawns in my part of the country, but may work in drier situations.

We’ve also seen survival on Turner’s Crimson Rambler.

Re herbicide damage: a public garden over in SC had severe herbicide damage occurring in a swath path through the garden fall of 2003; many of the roses have not returned to a normal look as of spring 2005.

The roses that I have seen that have hypersensitive reactions to RRD include CL. Old Blush, Gallica Officinalis and the Cemetery climber mentioned above. The Hypersensitive reaction may be enough to isolate the disease and thus prevent it’s spread within a vascular system. This would work only when the vector mite population is very low.

Ann