Rosa davidii Hybrids

This is a cross I did last year now in its 1st growth cycle. (Wendy X Altissimo) X R. davidii. Vigour and health are very good.
882 X R davidii.jpg

Gorgeous foliage, Warren! I’d grow it just for the leaves.

Love the leaves Warren. Looking good!

Warren and others with ‘davidii’ in the cross it will/has to be good. (HeHeHeHe). In all honesty they are looking good Warren.
regards David.

Update of this F1 R. Davidii Hybrid. Stems and leaves very thorny and I bet the flower stalks will have thorns. Height is around 120cm.
Warren
882 X Davidii.jpg
882 X Davidii 2.jpg

I love the foliage on your (Wendy X Altissimo) X R. davidii almost as much as I like the foliage of your virginiana X kordesii hybrids - great lines!!!

I have a small batch of davidii X fedtschenkoana seedlings and they have somewhat similar foliage. If I didn’t know the parentage, I would have suspected rugosa was involved by the look.

Thanks for sharing your pictures and best of luck for quick bloom!
Tom
davidii X fedtschenkoana.JPG

Thanks Tom.
It definitely has good vigour. Within a few years all these species lines will come together, but I want to have the repeat first.

The foliage of your R. davidii X R. fedtschenkoana looks a lot like Therese Bugnet.

Warren

The davidii X fedtschenkoana have been building up for another season and it looks like maybe I’ll get to see first blooms in the Spring of 2016.
The health of these seedlings has impressed me a lot. I have other F1 species cross seedlings that aren’t so clean. For example, palustris X fedtschenkoana by this time of year is pretty much bare except for the very newest leaves. You can see the lowermost leaves on these dense davidii X fedtschenkoana F1 are still on the plants and turning yellow for Fall but still don’t have any sort of spotting or mildew.
davidii_X_fedtschenkoana.jpg
davidii_X_fedtschenkoana_closeup.jpg
As you might expect, they’re pretty prickly but still can hardly wait to try these in some crosses.

Great looking foliage Tom. It’s nice that there is such good disease resistance with this cross for you. So how many years will you have waited for bloom if it blooms next spring?

Thanks Rob!
Well… let’s see… they spent their whole first season after germination (2013) in the gallon milk jug bottom (how I usually start everything). Finally got them in the ground (Spring of 2014) which would be their second season. And this year (2015) was their third growing season. Maybe they could have bloomed a little this year if I’d gotten them off to a better start. If they don’t bloom in the Spring 2016, I’ll be very surprised. And I guess that’ll be a full three years from germination to bloom.

That’s the downside of working with all of the once-blooming species crosses, it can take such a long time to see first bloom. Actually, I’ve only done just a few crosses between two moderns and had just about forgotten how much fun it is to see first blooms on tiny little inch high seedlings. I think I’m gonna have to start including a couple of these each year just for that fun.
I did a couple Plaisanterie crosses this year with Illusion, Winner’s Circle and Moje Hammarburg. Hopefully at least a few of these will give some “instant” bloomers. ;0)

I’m a huge fan of Illusion ( lost mine to RRD). You might get some OGR bloom types from Illusion.

Cool cross, Tom! Do you have any inclination of how R. davidii might handle colder zones? Any dieback at all there? Mine will be facing its first winter this year and I hope it pleasantly surprises me with its hardiness.

Thanks Joe! My Rosa davidii has been declining the last couple of years and actually I’m afraid I might lose it. I’m not sure why, but my latest thought was that maybe it has RRD but just doesn’t express it the way other roses do? A Rosa glauca died from RRD right about the time I noticed davidii starting to decline and that glauca had been planted right beside my Rosa davidii - close enough that they were probably touching. I sure hope that this isn’t some kind of atypical RRD response and that it bounces back soon.
But anyway, I got it many years ago from Forest Farm nursery and even moved it to our new place back in 2005, and in all those years it never had any damage from our zone 6b Maryland winters. So, I don’t know if it would be hardy up your way, but I think there’s at least a pretty good chance. Crossing my fingers for you!

Here’s a link that has a picture of it from 2012 [the year I did that cross with fedtschenkoana pollen] before it shrunk down to just a few sticks.

Joe, I think davidii will not survive in your subarctic zone. It’s really a regional ploidy variant of R. cinnamomeae that came out of subtropical China albeit a mile and a half up the mountains (see Mupingzhen, Ya’an, Sichuan, China using Google Earth). It’s a good candidate for winter protection. Moyesii is similar to davidii and it does ok here on the Massachusetts/Connecticut border but really wants a warmer home.

If anyone wants to swap pollen of their F1 davidii hybrids for F1 moyesii hybrid pollen (or whatever) please send me a PM.

Finally got just enough break in the rains to get out and get pictures. I figured this thread would be the best place to follow up with first bloom of one of the F1 davidii X fedtschenkoana…

parentage:
parentage.jpg
closer look at bloom:
davidii_X_fedtschenkoana.JPG
one of the strong new shoots coming up:
davidii_X_fedtschenkoana_shoot.JPG
definitely got the bristliness from fedtschenkoana, the flower color from davidii, and foliage that is intermediate in most ways. I’m letting the flowers open-pollinate to see how fertile these hybrids will be.

Great cross and very healthy looking Thomas. The leaves on the F1 almost look rugose. Is there any fragrance?

Thanks! Yes, pretty nice fragrance, but I can’t detect any fedtschenkoana “note” in it.
The foliage is fairly rugose - I would have thought this was a hybrid of Rosa rugosa, if I hadn’t done the pollination and planted the seeds myself.
But the davidii parent does have sunken veins on its willowy foliage…

tom, I was just searching to see if there were any updates on some of your other species crosses mentioned on your blog. Any blossoms ever from the xanthina crosses?

I saw that this thread had resurfaced so I thought I would update on my Hybrid davidii’s. These three seedling are from the cross of (Wendy X Altissimo) X R. davidii.
Hybrid Davidii F1Type 2 semidouble 4.jpg
Davidii type 3.jpg
Hybrid Davidii Type 1.jpg

Hybrid Kordesii cv. X R davidii, this took three years before it flowered, mid red full double blooms, foliage shows a lot of davidii traits.
SymXdav.jpg
SymXdav open 7.jpg
SymXdav open 6.jpg