Rosa Aicha breeding?

I was wondering if anyone here had done any breeding with Rosa Aicha as a mother or pollen parent? It doesn’t seem to be sold where I live but am interested in it’s reblooming characteristics.

1 Like

For several reasons I have not tested it a as a mother. I have never seen a hip form on it in my climate and I have not had a plant available thet I could use as a mother. It produces a lot of pollen which looks viable when magnified. Few years back I used the pollen on several repeaters. I had good seed set. However, I had no juvenile rebloom in the offspring and I have very few plants left of that origin. I was a bit happy for their hardiness but they were disease prone and had some general stuntness to their leaves (mildew?). I gave up on most of them when they did not flower in their second year. I made these crosses when I had horrible results with my germinations and I only had one to four plants of each cross. So perhaps juvenile rebloom is in there somewhere but I was just unlucky not to catch it.

Aicha is a wonderful cultivar and I would like to test it a little bit more. I would like to think it has more potential than I was able to catch. It’s offspring showed at least some hardiness.

Best wishes
Hjörtur

3 Likes

Mine were the usual very vigorous, however did not have good growing experience with a pair in my zone 4A CDN prairie foothills “south facing” garden.

They never re bloomed because spent most of growing seasons re-caning due to 40-60% winter kill. Ended seasons at 4-6 foot high.

Maybe okay in your warmer zone. Use to be carried by Cornhill nusery.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried breeding with Aicha yet, although I certainly should try it. Good to know it is a pollen only.
If yellow with cold hardy is what you are searching for, I was able to get that by using Kakwa pollen on a yellow shrub. Both yellow and fragrance came through in the cross. I’m still evaluating the seedling I kept to test, as it is really young still, and its first winter was mild. This winter should tell me more.
Duane

3 Likes

Does anyone know where it’s rebloom comes from?

I have seen occasional flowers very late in the season on Aicha, just as I have seen occasional late flower on some few spinosissimas. I have never counted them as rebloom as such, more like a response to something or irregularity. I have seen this on Doorenbos Selection, Red Nelly, Katrín Viðar, Rosa xanthina (not necessarily the true species) and once on Aicha. Aicha is however documented to have a hybrid tea as one of its parents so I had hoped it to be able to pass juvenile and better rebloom into some of its offspring. I have not been sucessful in doing that but perhaps more crossings are needed.

Kakwa is definately on my list of roses I would want to work with. Did the Kakwa bring juvenile rebloom?

Best wishes
Hjörtur

2 Likes

I only thought it had rebloom due to helpmefind saying that it does. Maybe depends on the climate itself

1 Like

I would imagine so.

Spinos and xanthina, hugonis (and hybrids like Golden Cheronese) consistently flower twice (the second is maybe a dozen or so flowers) for me here in Australia, glauca does too…so do the foetida’s.

But I wouldn’t expect that behaviour in other climates.

4 Likes

It is other than Stanwell perpetual and it’s offspring the only one I think listed as reblooming as a hybrid spinosissima. I am thankful that I haven’t gone out of my way to get one knowing that might not be the case

Thanks

1 Like

Saying that I did actually import one in the end… It looked too nice :joy: