Root growth anomaly?

While transplanting some roses, I discovered on one rose many tightly, short, dull, grayish root strands. I have not seen such an appearance before. The rose behaved normally so far, even flowering as well as hip formation during the year was not disturbed. I did not discover any visible pests on the roots or in the soil. Nevertheless, it seems to me that root formation takes not place in a usual way.

I would like to have your opinions? Thanks a lot !

Root_anomaly_07_12_22

1 Like

To me, it looks like they may all just be very fresh, actively growing root tips (which are often enlarged compared to “mature” roots). I suspect that it was just experiencing a burst of new root growth, a very good thing!

Stefan

1 Like

I’m happy. Thank you so much !

Inclined to agree with Stefan. Consider what vigorous, healthy adventitious roots look like. You have a happy plant. (I want your fertilizing regime.)

1 Like

Many thanks for feedback ! Indeed, I was insecure about the grey colour and the opulence of them. On the photo you can see just a small section. There are much more present. On my other roses, I noted always ceam - white adventitious roots (longer and not so rich), so far. But you never stop learning. This is a nice experience for me.

I used EM-1 (EMIKO) this year as fertilizer additive. It is intended to be a great stimulator for root formation. Possibly this is the explanation for the root explosion on this R.foliolosa.

1 Like

Oh my gosh. I love EM1. I used it this year as well. It is marvelous for germination and I’ve also found it keeps the mold at bay better.

Welcome to our community ! It is nice that you are now part of it. Also, many thanks for feedback. EM-1 really seems to convince in several versions of use.

1 Like

I was expecting it root faster or better. But in my control and test it seems it’s mostly after the callus growth and the fungus control. Better the mycelium than mold.