regarding pollen of virused plants

See:

Link: apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/PHYTO-97-8-0892

Henry,

If the virus was detected both within, and on the surface of infected pollen grains, can we assume that the same be said for rose pollen?? Have any tests been conducted to affirm this about rose pollen?

Why is it always apricots and NOT ROSES that these tests are always conducted on?

Is apricot pollen the same or similar to rose pollen?

Can infected apricot or rose pollen pass on the virus to offspring?

“Why is it always apricots and NOT ROSES that these tests are always conducted on?”

Roses will always be low priority for two reasons:

1)Theyre low on the income totem pole in the horticulture industry.

1. Theyre not a food product, which by basis of sheer survival, is less important to plant science.

But I still love roses! So basically, it comes down to economics. For instance, wheat, while extremely boring, is a very serious business.

Dee, PNRSV is a temperature sensitive virus. In hot weather the living virus is fould only in the roots. Much/most/all? of the early rose virus transmission research publicized in the U.S. has been done in places like Florida and California where the temperature may have been a factor. Another California study is expected to be available within a month. I expect that this study will address the temperature variable.

Here is another apricot paper. There are defense mechanisms that fight the virus.

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1399-3054.2007.00961.x?journalCode=ppl

The following is a British report of PNRSV infection in rose pollen and seedlings:

Link: www.actahort.org/books/94/94_31.htm

I figured as much, Jadae; pests are dealt with in the same fashion by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for the same reasons you state above. I can only imagine what kind of world it would be if roses were the priority, lolol!

Thanks for the links Henry. Interestingly enough, the article states that the amount of virus was very high inside the embryo as compared with that present in the cotyledons. And lipid peroxidation, thiobarbituric, ascorbate, GSH cycle enzymes, peroxidase, superoxide dismutase, catalase activity, decrease in polyphenoloxidase activity, Mn-containing, CuZn containing, isozyme with catalase, glutathione reductase, kinetic analyses, and oxidative stress clearly explains why, lolololol!

Well now I can use my imagination to decipher the meaning of these magical words, lololol!

I’m teasing :wink: