R. xanthina OP seedling 1 year after germination

Definitely need to try using it more in crossing.

Don’t have to park on my hands for two years plus for first bloom and 100% hardy in CDN 4A

One of my OP seedlings blooming very well after ~16 months from germination and adult canes in background.

One (1) full summer. Full Sunlight hours exposure 8-12 now.

5 Likes

My congratulations for this great success!

Nice going Rick. Sure beats the three year wait for some of the spins to bloom. Spring bloom east of Edmonton is starting about 2 weeks earlier than average. Yellow altai putting on a show…

Txs folks.

I have various frozen pollens but l going cross this seedling with fresh as various hardies are blooming and some just starting to bloom here.

The mother plant though with buds is not blooming. Maybe the seedling is positioned just right.

Besides hoping for a cross of some targets, priority is to see if xanthina crosses bloom quicker aka 2nd summer in garden.

I wonder how any reflected/radiated heat from that slump stone wall behind it affected the flowering? That plant may “believe” it’s later in the season than it was due to the warmer situation caused by the passive solar heating.

Absolutely a possibility Kim that wall a contributor … but up against the wall is another seedling from the same batch and other roses.

Other seedling is smaller and looks like another year.

The other wall roses are Pacific Pearls and Dr Merkeleys - late season bloomer. The gallicas are routinely prune down as the Dr Merkeleys have the most Picasso like cubic cane structure l ever seen in a rose - and calling them iron tangle wood is being kind.

This seedling of nine is the only bloomer in 1 year since germinating. And new adult canes coming up. They are bristly as all get out - one would think it was the stated spino background of R. Xanthina? Not seen this new cane breaks on mother rose. Started thinking they were runner invasions in plant from Suzanne. - there not.

I wont label it generically different, but will use it.

Today

2 Likes

It’s very interesting to see how densely spiny that growth is. Dr. Byrne from TAMU brought back Xanthina seed from China and sent me a small bag of it a number of years ago. I raised several seedlings from it, shared one with Jim Sproul and retained two to play with. None of them expressed the spines yours expresses. In fact, mine are relatively prickle-free.
Seedling 1

I have to add, thank you to Don Holeman for moving the forum over to this new platform! Uploading images is tremendously easier and faster than it was in the former platform! Bravo!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. and photos as they really help. Definitely a difference.

Source of mother plant is Knud commercial operations and full label has normalis after name.

The mother is about 20-40 % of the off- spring in prickle density at crown and first couple of feet. Cane top lengths very low density. The leaves though similar have more rounded tips.

As l always second guess my observations, l went and dug around the crown and the new canes definitely originate from there.

Starting to wonder if an op crossing occurred, but didn’t effect bloom form, color and petal count. There is Prairie Peace, White Altaia and at least another half dozen different pimpinefolia/ spinos and hybrids infront gardens.

One photo “crown” of seedling and other mother.

Yes l agree the RHA and Don made the right choice on this program. It is superior by far and judging from the broad cross section of new participants it must be working in improving engagement. Photo uploading is superior.

4 Likes

Nice plump hips today. I x 95% with Suzanne.

Mother’s OP hips on same time line - same size and color as early blooming daughter.

Bucket for scale and rose prop up and backwards trellised caged against weed whacker attack.

3 Likes

Those hips look very promising Rick. Nice work!

1 Like

May I ask who your Rosa xanthina crossed with for pollination? I don’t know what roses are compatible with

1 Like

It was crossed with a spinosissima hybrid “Suzanne” as per HelpMeFind. A 1950 cross done by Dr F L Skinner (Hon.).

If the cross germinates it will be in theory a diploid x tetraploid.

And cold winter should be no problem - in theory. Both parents in my garden are impervious to cold.

Update August 12 2023

Harvested all 8 hips today, 60 plus seeds of which 98% appear physically mature and “healthy”.

Like a person who absolutely has to tinker with his own success (9 op seedlings germinated in 2022), l harvested 2 months earlier than before, and used a version of Svedj’s (sic) Explorer program method for step 1.

The step 1 change is using an ambient temperature of 18-20C in moist grow chamber, and for a planned 30-60 days. Hope to reduce onset of both dormancy types by this method, if they exist.

If they survive fungal attack - if it occurs - will return to my normal method and drop temp to usual range (-0 to 4C) for “real stratification”.

They are both cold region species / F1 for parents.

Update August 19 2023

Seeds look okay.

But boy my mother seedling is about 7 months shy of 2 years since germination. On second summer, more rambunctious than anything l grown before by million miles - no year one sleep, two creep, less than two skip past even leap and hit warp speed, “ why waste time - lets go attitude” as with its early bloom … and not even in NoSoCal :-).

Tallest cane is 4 feet 6 inches by tape. Average 3 feet and low 1.5 to 2 feet.

Other 8 seedlings in less than what must be perfect convergent of site and specific seedling are from 6 inches to 1.5 foot max height… l am honestly in awe this one. This not for growers who want small landscape roses, more for those with Kew space. Still paranoid Suzanne close by snuck in by runner but color not it.

5 Likes

This paper may interest you:
Plant Physiology and Biochemistry
Volume 129,August 2018, Pages 421-428

I would send you a B&W copy but they have pictures of the somewhat yellowish Rosa rugosa hybrids with R. xanthina. Johannes

1 Like

Txs Johannes for the reference. Rugosa down here are a hit and miss in my garden soil - leaf yellowing, aka chlorosis. Iron addition has worked in some cases but not all.

Seems further away from species look, the more tolerant they are of whatever is lacking in my soil - or too much of - which means hybrids foliage is a healthy green.

May try R. xanthina with Hunter. Latter has a 15-20 year track record of healthy and winter recovery to impressive bloom in my garden, it spreads and very good hip producer. It never had anemia.

Hunter was crossed a few times, but not with R. xanthina.

Nice hardy yellow rugosa-hybrid-rugosa, capable of withstanding -35C would be a good cross. Topaz Jewell was a winter hardiness bust for me, plus a number of others.

Being likely a dip? x dip would lend encouragement towards a cross testing … assuming Hunter a dip.

But according to some in HMF, Hunter a result of a dip and tetra (therefore offer likely a trip) and also from pauli x independent. Now half to try crossing both ways and same with Suzanne or like … maybe RR1.

Thanks for the food for thought for this season.

1 Like