R. wichuraiana variegata

Has any one worked with R. wichuraiana variegata. I know it is unlikely because it is a sport but maybe the varigation can be passed on. I was wondering if anyone knows for sure. Lastly I was wondering if it burns in the sun like other varigated roses.

Someone here has and said that the flowers were so small that they were miserable to work with.

If they burn in the sun and they are planted in the shade instead do they still flower?

A friend of mine ordered one from Sequoia and planted it in full sun in his rented garden plot next to mine a few years back. It grew well in the full sun and the variegation looked nice. I’ve had variegated seedlings that seemed weak and burned, but this rose seemed to grow and hold up well to full sun. Maybe it’s partly the wichurana foliage being so thick and kind of different??? Maybe it being a good variegated performer has allowed it to be widely grown. I haven’t used his plant in breeding. It dies down hard and didn’t bloom well, but it regrew fast.

Sincerely,

David

I planted one last Spring and it just strugled all Summer with alsmost no growth and the tips buring in the sun but about one month ago it started growing and growing and now I had to cut it back already. That flower in the pic on HMF looks like it will be ok to use as a seed parent. I bet if I use Lynnie or Carlin’s Rhythm on it it would take. We will find out next year.

Patrick

I was shocked to here of blackspot problems with both Lynnie and Carlin’s Rhythm in Ohio not long ago. FYI

Robert, I believe I had mentioned before that Lynnie, My Stars and Carlin"s rhythm all blackspot here near the Gulf Coast. Upon further evaluation I think My Stars is the most disease resistant and Carlin’s Rhythm the worst. But all three will set hips with anything short of dirt and their pollen is just as potent. I suppose they are better than orangeade since two of them are at least thornless. I use them as a last resort to test for fertility on my seedlings.

Paatrick

Thanks Patrick. I am working with a Sister seedling to ‘My Stars’ which is purportedly practically disease free.

We’ll see what comes of it.

Back to the subject at hand, it had been my (mis?)understanding that variegations such as this one were frequently meristematic chimeras, and that the mutation was probably not heritable.

Can anyone with more knowledge on this subject elucidate?

Here’s an article I wrote on variegation. THere are a lot of nice papers describing the inheritance variegation in those plants that transmit it to progeny and it differs across species. I was only able to briefly go into a few highlights in this article.

Sincerely,

David

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLNewsSept12007.html#variegation

Link: www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/YGLNewsSept12007.html#variegation

“Periclinal chimeras typically do not come true from seed. Sex cells arise from meristem Layer II cells and variegated plants that are due to periclinal chimeras typically generate seedlings that are albino or green, not variegated. Interestingly, some variegated plants do come true from seed.”

So what is the story on roses, then? I presumed R.w.v. to be a periclinal chimera, and hence as a seed parent would give rise to either green or albino seedlings depending on meristem layer of “white” cells.

It is my understanding that with micro propagation chimeras also yield albino or greens since in micropropagation, the propagules (?) arise from such small samples of cells having no layer/division. I’ve wondered if that problem could be overcome.

That’s a great question Phillip. I suspect there can be variegation of both sorts (heritable and periclinal) in the same species. It seems pretty stable in this R.w.v. Has someone raised seedlings? My suspicion would be the same as yours in that it probably is a periclinal chimera, like most variegated plants from a normally non-variegated species. For micropropagation that is a great question. I have propagated a lot of plants in tissue culture and not many were variegated. For the periclinal chimeras I would suspect, like you seemed to allude to, that if we can avoid adventitious shoots that would help. Shoots come from well organized previous shoots without reestablishing new meristems. I think that hormonal concentrations and general differences between species for adventituous shoot regeneration can be played with and explored.

I find variegation fascinating and enjoy trying to propagate variegated sports and seeing how stable they are. Most of the time so far they don’t seem to stable. I once had a dramatic variegated milkweed I found. It looked like the variegation on a rubber tree! It didn’t survive the winter.

Sincerely,

David

I know their are alot of different types of varigation in african voilets. Most of these where created through iduce mutation over the years. The impression I get is that many of these can only be reproduced if the varigated plant is used as the seed parent. I thik that in african vilets the chlorphyl must be inherited not on the chromosomes but through the mother. Maybe this is the same with roses. This also makes me wonder what else comes directlythrough the seed parent.

If planted in the (medium) shade it will flower, but very lightly. I think however, I still haven’t hit the right shade spot, and wonder if lighter shade wouldn’t be better. It is finicky I think- I bought two plants at the same time and the one in slightly deeper shade croaked, while the other one has been chugging along, though not ever getting very big. Yes, the flowers are TINY- you’ll have to look close to see it even is flowering.