R. roxburghii

Has anyone done any work with R. roxburghii, and if so, what kind of results did you get? Did the offspring have any remontancy? What percentage? Was any of the spininess of the bud carried over to the progeny?

TIA,

Paul

Paul I have tried to germinate a zillion open pollinated seeds of R. roxburghii. If I did get any to germinate, it (they) must of died; as I have no living seedlings.

I picked early; I picked late - same result.

I have a lot of seeds that I have carried over from last year; I will see what happens in this their second year.

I also sent seeds to others a number of years ago. I did not receive any reports of germinations.

Thanks, Henry. I was anticipating it being a difficult seed parent so I was just going to use its pollen. Did you try that?

Paul

What about Rosa x micrugosa (or R. x migrugosa alba)? It looks really neat.

I did not use any roxburghii pollen. The plant where I get the hips is always out of bloom when I am there.

I have kept 1 open pollinated 1997 seedling of microrosa (my # 268). It is a large plant but not it does not have much roxburghii character. I am not sure if I made any successful crosses with it. I probably should try it with Bonavista.

Are you all talking about working with the double form or one or both of the two single forms of roxbergii?

I do have a year old single with ‘spines’ on the receptacle and I’m getting the “bald” version, which is said to be identical to the single, but lacks the spines.

roxburghii is one of the many species roses of which I orderd seed from Chiltern. They didnt germinate right away for me. I gave them a 3 month stratification period, and then quite a while out of the fridge. I had them back in the fridge for an additional 2 months and they started germinating in the fridge. I had really good germination percentage and ended up planting 2 per pot and thinning out the weaker growing ones. I have about 10 plants growing under lights as of right now.

I have no idea how or where Chiltern gets thier seed or from how it is pollinated. All the plants that I have are very similar in appearance and growth habit.

roxburghii and pomifera started germinating at the same time, both of which had the same treatment.

I dont know what form the Chiltern roxburghii is. Its not in thier on-line catalog anymore.

Since I have never seen it in bloom, I do not know if it is single or double. It is very big like a small tree.

Congratulations StevenJ.

Anyone ever grow Rosa roxburghii hirtula? That one looks interesting as well. I had too wondered if there was a fertility difference between normalis and plena–or whatever reincarnation of names given to the single and double forms.

The form I have is the five-petaled one. I plan on using its pollen.

Paul

I suspect that the rose that I get hips from came from the Joseph J. Kern Nursery so I dug out their old catalog. No date was given but it was mailed with a 4 cents stamp.

It lists “R. roxburghii - (Burr Rose) - Strange buds and foliage, sg., pink blossoms, prior 1814…2.50”

It maybe intresting to cross Queen Elizabeth to roxburghii-- since it may have genes from it via Floradora. Although that maybe in question…

Botanica states that Rosa roxburghii normalis was found in 1908 and that Rosa roxburghii plena was found in 1814. Apparently the double form is more common and probably the one you have by matching the date, Henry. By the pictures, I find hirtula the most beautiful but I cant find a decent US source for it.

I have crossed Rosa rugosa with R. roxburghii with the former being the pistillate and the latter the staminate parent. The seedlings were vicious and subject to mildew, so I discarded them when they were very small.