R. palustris scandens

Has anyone used this cultivar? I seemed to have some success with it this season as pollen parent this season. I would guess it’s a hybrid. It seems to have much to offer. The rebloom here is very good and there are relatively few prickles.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=6799

The following is from the link below:

"(Palustris-tetraploid) X OP 2, 3, 4, 4 plants. From seeds provided by Dave Zlesak.

((Palustris-tetraploid) X John Cabot) X OP 2, 5, 4, 2 plants. From seeds provided by Dave Zlesak."

Unfortunately, the plants are not flowering yet (they were planted out the summer of 2005) so I cannot comment on their flowering/fertility characteristics.

Link: home.neo.rr.com/kuska/2004_and_2005_very%20good%20seedlings.htm

Are you saying this double repeat blooming form of palustris is tetraploid Henry? It rare sets a hip in this climate. Thanks, Robert

No, sorry, if I gave that impression. Modern Roses 11 does not give the ploidy of the scandens form.

Interestingly, they do not list it as repeat blooming.

Yeah, I noted that as well. The double form repeats all year long in my climate. I thought it might be a hybrid between palustris and something like Old Blush. It acts like a triploid.

Robert, I have not heard of R.p.s. as being described as reblooming, and was under the impression that such did not occur. The species is pretty much pan-eastern-american (zn 5 or better down to Florida) and, of course, tolerant of some pretty adverse soil conditions and disease pressures, as well as being only lightly thorned as you say. My understanding is that it also tolerates some shade(?) and is fragrant. If you have a reblooming form, I certainly would be using it. I personally like the cascading form of the plants too.

I have not actually grown it in my own garden precisely because it doesn’t rebloom, and my space is limited. In fact, I do not think of it as a generous bloomer.

Where was the source for your rose? Does it have the typical willowy look?

Hi Phillip, yes, my plant has the typical willowy look. The rebloom could be a factor of climate? I didn’t know what this rose was for years.

I was in a rose forum years ago inquiring about thornless cultivars to use in breeding and was offered this variety unlabelled.

I only recently ran accross the name “R. palustris scandens” recently but it is a dead ringer for what I am growing. My plant has the double flowers just as shown in many of the HelpMeFind photos. It is fragrant and does tolerate shade.

I think it’s a good ornamental in it’s own right, especially for an informal woodland type garden.

Mine is about 4’ tall and 3’ wide rooted into the ground in a 15 gallon can.

Robert, I must say, particularly if you have a recurrent strain, GO FOR IT!

:wink:

I’m looking forward to hearing of your results. I truly know nothing of any progeny, though this is one of the many species I have fantasized about using for many years. (I do way more theoretical arm-chair hybridizing than real breeding.) As I say, I generally thought of it as a stingey bloomer and assumed it would take many generations to bring out the garden-worthiness I would like in my climate. (I’m zn 9, and non-recurrent roses are not real popular for us either!)

Good luck, and keep us updated!

On a slightly related note, there is a lot of wild R. palustris on my parent’s land, and I have observed very sporatic reblooming on them now and again. Also, my R. palustris x ‘Apart’ has a pretty good rebloom with fragrant, semi-double flowers. On the downside, it is amazingly thorny (which is disappointing, given R. palustris tends to be almost thornless) and individual blooms only last for one day, like R. palustris. I finally got around to sprouting some OP hips from the hybrid, so it will be interesting to see what the F2 generation looks like.

Thanks Joseph, I agree there is some good potential here with a species that’s virtually been unexplored.