R.Clinophylla x R.Bracteata seedlings from Simon, (ex. Viru

None of my ‘Dr Bayse’ line of bracteata have come up either. Will just leave them and see what happens this spring. Clinophylla x bracteata have germinated but only two. These two show a strong similarity to the clinophylla seedlings. Seeing as they are selfs my guess is that these two received more clinophylla genes that bracteata as they came up at the same time as the clinophylla and without stratification. Leaf morphology looks the same. I’m going to leave the tray as is over winter to see if the bracteata-type seeds need more chill before they will come up.

Simon,

Viru Viraraghavan could help us with a definitive answer as soon as I can get a flower picture.

My next door neighbour who kindly took the above shots yesterday recommends the camera dealers in the link below…any suggestions about camera models and features for our type of work would be most welcome from you (I only wanna spend in the $100-$200 mark at this stage).

Link: www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/

Adam, the atypical seedling does not have the stipule characteristic that I believe is typical of R.clinophylla (which some of the other R.clinophylla x R.bracteata, and certainly the two R. clinophylla seedlings, do show now).

Also, it is pretty much “smooth/non-prickled” for now, but I can see very microscopic hair like prickles when I look real close, which are not really prickles to speak of IMO (the others are already richly armed with prominent prickles, which I already loathe lol).

I’ve never seen that kind of variation in my own seedlings… it must be something out of Basye’s Bracteata-- the smaller seedling on the right is more typical of what I’ve seen.

They’re tough roses-- I’ve have one growing in a 5 gallon paint bucket… no water. It dries up, and comes back to life–literally-- after a good soaking.

Heck, I have a new plant already that started out a torn little piece with a small broken root. (It was the size of my thumb.)

It’s growing in a pot and I can see the roots peeking out of the bottom. Surely this could be an invasive rose-- but-- seedling from it are hard to germinate. I’ve only had success with it as a pollen parent.

Enrique are your “invasive” seedlings (R.clinophylla x R.bracteata)xOP or R.clinophylla x OP?

They are the clino X bract OP seeds from Viru’s breeding program. I have two of them, one in the ground that’s not invasive at all-- in fact, it lacks vigor. The vigorous one is in the paint bucket.

The ground one is making a lot of flowers.

I think it would be a nice parent with my R. foliolosa x R. blanda seedlings (I got a great many from two hips… If they all survive, then I will be passing those around or throwing them away.)

Enrique, as a matter of general interest, can you roughly recall the sort of germination rate you got from your batch of clinophylla x bracteata seed? Also, can you remember roughly how long it took to get germinating?

I just potted all 7 of these Viru-derived seedlings up into larger pots. Their root development is extensive, much more than I had expected from the top growth of some of them.

I can’t remember, but i planted the seeds directly into the soil on Christmas Eve 2004… and they germinated in January. All of them were healthy except for one, which was very prone to mildew.

I think I had about 13 seeds…

Ok, thanks Enrique.

One aberrant seedling out of 5 in mine is extremely lucky/unlucky. However the odds would lean more to the possibility that an approximate 1:5 ratio might exist in the entire clinophylla x bracteata batch that was received…just speculation, but this might also be an explanation why the sown seed is not germinating as well as expected (it might contain a high number of very difficult to germinate of this “other”" type)…just speculating, that’s all. There are many other explanations, to be sure!

Regardless of the true origins of this particular seedling I am talking about, all this talk makes me wish that someone with the knowledge and pictures of ‘Basye’s Bracteata’ should post it onto HMF, for everyone’s benefit (I cant see any trace of it on HMF).

Here are some closer pictures of this aberrant seedling, taken with the webcam this morning.

Here is a picture of the back of a stipule:

The leaflets have a rather lanceolate form

The stem is a little wiry and smooth, no prickles at all.

Color and form of younger leaflets near the apex:

Its first flower bud:

I guess the leaflets look a little ferny?

What color are Commander Gillette flowers?

What color are Basye’s Bracteata flowers??

I also posted my question asking about the color of CG on HMF Q&A yesterday, due zero response here, and Kim Rupert replied there that CG fowers are pink. Thank you Kim!

Another HMF contributor then also stepped in and posted his photo of a CG flower.

In the link below, if it interests any of you, you can also read Kim’s informative little story about the confusion that was caused when Dr. Basye released some roses that were identical to CG, but had been given totally different identities!

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.17258.1&tab=32

Back to the aberrant seedling.

If it is an OP of Basye’s Bracteata it supposedly then has Basye’s Blueberry as its pollen parent (which is 75% Commander Gillette)…strong pinks there…

Well this flower bud is starting to show outer petals as greenish bleaching to white. It is still too immature to bother photographing.