R. clinophylla seed available

I have some R. clinoplylla seed available for anyone who wants some. I don’t have a lot, and I will likely divide it up into lots of ten seeds. First come first serve. Keep in mind that this is an evergreen warm climate species and is unlikely to survive in climates colder than a very protected 7B.

Paul

I would be interested. How hard is the seed to grow? Does it get very large? What raits does it pass along? I would have to grow it inside during winter would this be a problem?

R. clinophylla seed germinates easily. It is from the R. bracteata group, so it does get very large. It is largely unexplored as a parent, so I don’t know about traits, but it is definitely NOT going to pass on Winter hardiness. If you have enough space to give it a room to itself, you can keep it indoors in the Winter, sure! Although it CAN be forced to grow in a smallish pot and it will stay dwarfed for a few years, but its health will decline if pot bound for long.

My clinophylla was 12’ tall by about 6’ wide (with support) when I decided to let it go. I grew out a batch of seed before it left.

There is some susceptibility to mildew in areas of restricted air movement.

I passed clinophylla around to the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, Cass Bernstein and a few others before I let it go.

The only thing I have now is one small clinophylla x bracteata grown from seed.

I’ve only kept it because it seems a bit different from others grown from this cross.

Paul,

I’d like to try some.

I’ve got fairly big plants of both R. bracteata and R. laevigata livind in acidic red clay on the colder part of our property (and they’ve been here five years including temp in that garden of -5F) so trying clinophylla in these and slightly warmer conditions seems a possibility. (I can also try them in higher water (next to the river) and low water (with the other spp.) conditions.

I do wonder if dryer summers make for some increase in hardiness over winter.

Ann

Ann,

We have VERY dry Summers here, often going for 2 months or more without precipitation. My plants of R. clinophylla were killed to soil level last year when we had 3 nights down to 10F. I consider this to be an extremely tender variety.

Then could I try it overwintering on our passive solar porch? It’s significantly warmer (leakly old farm house that it helps heat and a woodstove in the room next to the solar porch, when solar isn’t just warm enough.)

It took me five years to get PBeales’ Parks Yellow to get strong enough canes to bloom. But it did bloom and was getting bigger every year…and caught RRD.

I keep hoping that there might be some natural resistance to RRD in some of the species from Asia.

My experience is with cutting grown plants. Mine is a clone of Robert’s. It strikes easily, but every one in northern California Zone 9 died except for my very coddled plant in a 5 gallon pot. I kept the pot on a south wall where it never went below 18 degrees. Seedlings might have a superior root system.

My plant is now in the ground and has grown to 6 feet in a year. This rose is so evergreen that it have been blooming since June and has blooms today. New fall basals have been growing since the middle of October. Today I see hips have dropped on the ground for the first time.

Paul, is your plant a seedling?

Yes Cass, mine is a seedling. It came from the original lot of seeds that Gene Waering distributed several years ago, which I believe came from Viru.

I have 2 plants left out of about a dozen seedlings, and both start blooming late and continue until a hard freeze stops them. One has buds about to open right now, although tonight’s freeze will put a stop to those.

One is in a container in the greenhouse and suffers little freeze damage. The one outside in the open, about 30 feet away gets significant freeze damage every year and was nearly killed by the few days of 10-14F nights we had last January. It recovered to get to about 5 X 5. The one out in the garden gets some Blackspot I noticed. That surprised me.

Curious fact: the pollen of R. clinophylla smells like Acetone!

Paul

One advantage of sending seeds east is that our formidably hot, humid summers will tend to harden the growth better and can result in increased winter hardiness in these Asian species. Ann is in a great spot to test them at a mid-South zone 6/7, I think. Hopefully these seeds will represent self-pollinations, but I suppose we have to be open to the possibility of some garden hybridization, too.

Stefan,

My plants of R. clinophylla are located within pollination range of hundreds of other roses, so there is indeed some possibility that these seeds will be hybrids.

Ann, can you email me your postal address, please.

I now have four requests for seeds and I think I can maybe take one more, if interested.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I would be interested in some R. clinophylla seed, if possible.

As I live in Australia, it may be a bit more difficult to send to me?

The good part is that it should survive and prosper in the zone 9/10 climate.

Thanks

Rod

Paul, I’m in New Orleans, zone 9, (hot humid and wet even when not under water!) and have been intrigued by the species’ description. I certainly couldn’t handle many germinations, but would be interested in starting a plant for the New Orleans Botanical Garden’s collection as well as trying to maintain a “smaller” one for my garden, if you have any available still. Let me know, and I will reimburse postage.

How does it do for resistance as compared with, for instance, R. bracteata? Info is limited, and I’m reading mixed reports.

Thanks

-Philip

Rod,

Sorry, I am willing to mail seed within continental USA only, to avoid any problems with regulations and quarantine.

Philip,

The specimen of R. clinophylla I have placed in the open garden gets some Blackspot, but only a bit here and there. I have one packet of seed left if you want it, please email me your mailing address.

Paul

I’m guessing clinophylla will thrive in Louisiana, but know that clinophylla can get large under those type of conditions.

It may naturalize freely there as laevigata or multiflora has in many areas of the country.

Clinophylla could seriously become a biological hazard if it escapes into the wilds of the American South. Just my opinion. It’s something to be cognizant about.

Robert

Paul,

Seeds you can sent international without restrictions to europe. I don’t know if that count for Australia also.

They cannot be sent to Australia without passing through the necessary quarantine channels.

These seeds are all spoken for and in the mail. :slight_smile:

Robert, if R.c. needs stratification, it’s not likely it will get too invasive where I’m at! Your point, however, is well taken. We have more than enough of such things in the area.

I look forward to hearing of folks’ plans and successes using this species.

-Philip

I recall reading that some R. clinophylla seeds started by others in the past did not need stratification - however, I don’t know where those seeds originated.