'Proliferation'

A green vegetative center in a rose bloom. Is that what they’re called?

I have a rose seedling I’m very pleased with… though it’s just put out its first bloom. It resembles its great-times-five pollen parent ‘Ferdinand Pichard’.

The seedling is a pink and paler pink stripe and fragrant. The plant is healthy, no black spot or mildew, and I’m in North Georgia. The seedling is 15" tall at five months old, branching well, throwing out big new canes… I’m hoping for a BIG climber. Everything is going well, but the bloom has a massive green proliferation in the center.

Is this from culture, youth of the seedling, or will it be a permanent feature.

My heart aches to think I may have to cull this rose, everything else is spot on…

How do I upload an image?

You can email a photo to me and I will upload it for you.

I converted the photo from a 4,902 KB TIFF to a 70 KB JPEG and uploaded it. Some seedlings always have vegetative centers. Others have vegetative centers at some times, but not others, depending on environmental conditions like fertilizer. Time will tell…

Jeffrey - I was wondering how your seedling was doing.

It is my understanding that poliferation is a genetic trait that is brought forward due to environmental conditions such as amount of water and temperature. Don’t worry, first blooms don’t always represent what the flower potential may be.