Playbasye source

I am looking for a rose called Playbasye. It was created by Ralph Moore. On helpmefind Robert Neil Rippetoe has pictures of it. I am breeding for thornless roses. Can anyone help.
Daniel

Good luck. The last known example of Playbasye grew in the garden of a member who passed earlier this year. You’ll probably have a better chance of success looking for its sibling, My Stars. I emailed Robert who reports he no longer has it. He sent it to Rob Byrnes, who has passed. I do have Basye’s Legacy if you’d like cuttings. You may also like Lynnie, a rose I bred from it and Mr. Moore’s Torch of Liberty. Torch of Liberty is a fertile triploid as is Lynnie. I bred Striped Lynnie from Kim Rupert (a probable triploid and fertile) and Lynnie.

Yes, I would like a cutting thanks. I tried to grow My Stars but it could not take the cold here in Nebraska. I have Gina’s Rose a sister to My Stars. Gina can take the cold.
Daniel

I messaged you, Daniel. Thanks, Kim

Kim, may I ask how you send cuttings? Do you have a “best practice”?

Sure, Lee. I use DAMP paper, whether it’s toweling, news print (back when it was longer fiber and could be wrung out without turning into “spit wads”), brown wrapping paper, or whatever type is available and suitable, fully wet it then wring it out fully so it is only DAMP, with NO liquid water available to drip out during shipment. You don’t have to actually wrap the cuttings in the paper, simply being sealed inside a plastic bag with the damp paper will provide sufficient humidity to prevent them from drying out. In fact, physical, liquid water in contact with them sealed inside a plastic bag will encourage them to literally rot in transit. If there are prickles to contend with and the fear they may puncture the plastic bag, you may wrap them in the paper to insulate it against them.

We buy a lot of produce and there are MANY clean produce bags in the garage. I never toss them until they are WELL used. They’re perfect for sealing cuttings for shipment or for Burrito wrappings for rooting. You can use Zip Locs or whatever, but produce bags are free and plentiful so, why not?

I always use Priority Mail. I often take a Flat Rate box and a regular non Flat Rate box (which you now must order, free, from the USPS to be delivered to your home. They only stock the more expensive Flat Rate boxes at the P.O.) with me to the Post Office so when I weigh the package, I can see which is the least expensive way to ship. If you go over the Flat Rate weight limit, that will be the most cost effective and the savings can be considerable. It’s easy to make the box, fill and seal it at the self serve machine.

I always ship (or do my best to) on Monday so the box has at least five days to get where it’s going so it won’t sit too long, waiting to be delivered.

Thank you, Kim. I’m glad I asked, because I would have been tempted to have liquid water in the bag. I’m shipping to a (not so green thumb) family member this spring, so the only thing I’ll add to your advice is labeling them “this side up”.

You’re welcome, Lee. I wish your not so green thumb family member good luck!