Ph.D. thesis rose rosette virus

See:

Page 123
" The original goal for exploring seed transmission was to verify that it is not occurring so that rose breeders
have the option to recover crosses. However, though transmission rates are very low
using symptomatic or asymptomatic roses, the data suggests that seed transmission may
be occurring. More long-term studies need to be done, but it is likely that seeds can
serve as a pathway for further spread of RRD. An area of concern is that Multiflora
plants regularly produce more than one million seeds each year. Even though only a
small percentage of these seeds harbor RRV, these infected seeds can result in an
infected plant that serves as a virus reservor."

Very interesting. Were there examples of seedlings that were infected? What did they look like? How long did they survive?

Rosesbydesign, I do not understand your questions. Are you able to read the thesis? My only information is from the thesis. I do not know where the author is now. If the information you desire is not in the thesis, my suggestion is for you to direct them to the thesis director.

I should mention that some professors may be reluctant to share further information because of the possibility of jeopardizing journal publication.

On page 123 of the PDF file (or numbered page 109 of the thesis), you can see a photograph of some seedlings that tested positive for the virus. As the caption points out, they do not appear to have “typical” RRD symptoms; it doesn’t sound like there were very long-term observations of the infected seedlings.

Stefan