Pernetiana Crosses 2012

Here is a cross which I thought would give very rich colours Sutters Gold X Angele Pernet, structurely it isn’t the strongest , but the offspring of Angele Pernet tend to do this. Foliage seems to be holding up health wise as there has not been any PM or BS occurrence. As I said in an earlier string, I am on a quest to secure new and wonderful colour combinations, with health of course.

[attachment 1307 SuttersGoldXAngelePernet1.jpg]

[attachment 1308 SuttersGoldXAngelePernet2.jpg] Foliage seems pretty healthy.

Pretty! It reminds me of a fresh Colette Clement or a more orange Flame of Love.

I am glad it doesn’t have the BS of Colette clement. It should transferr some thing interesting to its offspring.

I’m doing OP of Mme. Henri Guillet. Its probably a huge waste of time, but Im curious.

I want to get cuttings of ‘Golden State’ (see my HMF photo) from Washington Park, so I can use it as pollen. Its such an odd color. It looks like some sort of odd, aged gem in person.

Michael, Mme Henri Guillot sure does have strong colours but its parents seem to BS a bit for my liking.

I wish you could get Duquesa de Penaranda, Warren. She’s out of Rosella, which seems like something you should be able to make good use of. Ironically, DdP is rated as very disease resistant, something I would not expect from Pernet and Lambelin.

Kim I have just left a message on HMF to Patricia, things seem to pop up on the other side the counrty.

Good! The Duquesa is a beautiful garden plant…in the right climate. I enjoyed it very much. It made Juno, which then went on to make Pink Favorite, a bullet proof rose in these parts. Juno was known for its very tough, curiously wrinkled, Rugosa-like foliage.

Warren, I am a bit choiceless, as this area is not suited for Pernetiana types, so Im surrendered to what has survived for decades here.

Warren, that’s really striking color. I really like it, though yellows are my main target. I’ve gotten much the same effect with Rainbow KO OP (1/200 or so) or RKO onto yellows (some). If you can get RKO on that side of the pond, give it a try. It also brings short-stemmed rapid repeat flowering with petals that never drop ( many of offspring) I was hoping to carry in the yellow of RKO and the good traits and leave the pink behind. But usually that isn’t what happens.

There is also no question that Austrian Copper pollen onto something like Carefree Beauty has that intensity (such as Carefree Copper). That one in turn has spawned a passel of intensely red on yellow (but once-blooming mostly) offspring. I hit a dozen of those with RKO pollen last spring. Will let you know if we get any rebloomers looking like the one you have. I’m tinkering with RKO on various pernetianas but so far haven’t much to show from a season or so of seeds. Maybe this year. At least they set germinable seed.

Warren, that is certainly a nice lively color-very good for a cold winters day. Kim and others, I really appreciate your posting your little stories about related roses, as you are inspired (for whatever reasons)when viewing these photos. The story about “Flame of Love”, and its’ quest to find relevance and live on, was very touching, and of course I had never heard of it before. And I looked up “Golden State” just because Michael had mentioned it, and it is a gorgeous rose. Who wouldn’t ant to use something like that in a breeding program?

Thanks, Jackie. I’m glad I can add something different. Another which has always been a nice rose to me is Narzisse. Peter Schneider shared this with me many years ago, and I spread it around everywhere. I’m glad to see it remains available. It’s quite like Diamond Jubilee in that it has elements of Teas and HPs, so it doesn’t fit the traditional HT mold, but affords more antique feel. It’s been used a bit, but not nearly enough.

I love the breeding behind Diamond Jubilee. It’s always impressed me as rather inspired. It’s also quite interesting it is rated as very disease resistant. A very intriguing thing about it is friends in San Jose, CA, grew an own root plant of it in their backyard where it resisted Oak Root Fungus for many years. Their across the back fence neighbor cut down an enormous redwood and very quickly, there were fruiting bodies all over their back yard. That fungus attacked EVERYTHING! Their bender board, the wood siding on the house where soil touched it, their wooden patio furniture sitting on the lawn and every plant in the back yard. Most of their plants died rather quickly, but Diamond Jubliee soldiered on, choked by mushrooms surrounding it in the lawn. I don’t know how many years it endured, but it was quite a few longer than most other plants, including most of the other roses. It impressed Ed enough that for a very long time, he’d mention it whenever we’d chat. We both wondered if it contained genes which might lead to better Armillaria resistance.

Margaret McGredy is one I’ve wanted to study for a very long time. I’m thrilled it exists somewhere and wonder why it hasn’t been rediscovered somewhere here when so many really bad roses have come to light. She helped create some rather landmark roses. The first reference in HMF contains this, which intrigues the dickens out of me.

"the origin of ‘Margaret McGredy’ [has been traced] to crosses of Rugosa and Cinnamomea… In the American Rose Annual 1935, page 136, [Dr. J.H.] Nicolas gives another detail: “It is not generally known, but some McGredy roses have a trickle of Rugosa blood. I would not have known it myself had not Margaret McGredy sported an almost pure Rugosa branch, curiously enough with a yellow bloom!”

Charles P. Kilham is another I’d love to study. Much of historic interest has been mined from him.

Kim I have an enormous Diamond Jubilee in the back yard and what it enjured before I came along , a lot of roses would have died. I use it a lot , a great marriage with my Baronne Ed Rothschild X Mme C Testou. The offspring having Tea and Noisette back one and two generations , most have tea like foliage.

I can believe it Warren. I’m glad you’re using it. SOMEONE needs to! There is a lot there to mine.

Etoile de Holland, the bush version, is coming up everywhere, but the other Pernetianan lineage seeds are not really germinating. That is okay, because Etoile de Holland sounds fun, if the mildew and thin tissue can be dealt with.