Open PollinationSelf Pollination Question

I have a Buck rose named Earth Song that is showing some behavior that I am curious about. I planted Earth Song last summer. It was a smaller own root bare root from Kedem. It produced no open pollinated hips last year though it did bloom well.

This year it has bloomed a lot more and has been a strong growing rose. I have not dead-headed this rose this year but it set very few open pollinated hips. It did set some but all were very small. There are 3 exceptions. There are 3 very large hips almost the size of ping pong balls and are literally bursting with seed. One of these 3, one is from a flower to which I had introduced pollen from a rose Golden Age. The other 2 are OP.

What I am wondering is this. Is it reasonable to expect that the 2 large OP hips are a result of a cross pollination from a different rose and not a self pollination?

Earth Song and Golden Age are right next to each other and all the OP hips are on the branches that are right next to Golden Age. I would never claim that these are a ES X GA in my notes, I am just wondering what the probability of this being the actual cross.

-Steve

Hi Steve:

I have not worked with ‘Earth Song’, however, if it is pollen sterile, then the “OP” hips could very well be the result of bees carrying nearby pollen to it. If ‘Earth Song’ is pollen fertile, then I would expect the “OP” hips to be self pollinated.

Sounds like you have a good batch of seedlings in the making!

Jim Sproul