Nuits de young passing on colour?

Anyone have any good stories or pictures of nuits de young seedlings?

1 Like

I have unsuccessfully tried growing it twice in my climate in my garden and both times with protection. It lasts about two growing seasons ( 2 blooming seasons and then that is it) . After that it will send a cane or two up from the buried crown area then gone.

The interesting part is in a heritage rose garden east of here it has apparently survived as the named found rose called “Haj”. Need to see if still there and get a runner since it appears to have some hardiness to survive unprotected - changed clone ? It is listed on HMF as “Haj”, including a photo I took of the bare bush in spring a way back (looks more like a thicket).

My last of the 2 tries produced an open pollinated seedling that I planted last year and brought back in for winter. It is planted back outside in the trial garden (“best spot” for making tenders go through winter with some cane).

Hard to beat the color and darkness of the blooms. Photo is of second bush in my garden after one successful wintering. No blooms next year. after this - showing my protection approach only provides sporadic success for some tenders,

4 Likes

I know that Paul Barden crossed it with ‘Tuscany Superb’ and got a decent percentage of seedlings with deep coloring and mossing from a small batch of germinations, one of which was introduced [edit: another was introduced from the reverse cross]. That one is listed on HelpMeFind with some photos, although photos and descriptions of the others might have disappeared when his website Old Garden Roses and Beyond was taken offline.

Here is his Nightmoss (‘ARDarkness’): https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/pl.php?n=39498

Here is Fara Shimbo (‘ARDfara’): 'Ardfara' Rose

2 Likes

It appears that much of his journal is still available via the Wayback Machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/20200813002955/http://tlcfocus.com/paulbarden/main.html

2 Likes

Seedling "Henri Martin"x “Nuits de Young”.Every year the flower changes little by little,the busch stronger.We call it “Teresėlė”.Several photos of the 2021,2022,2023 flowering years.Moss.



6 Likes

Sorry, if I may refer once again to Paul Barden in addition to the previous post of lee_hull. I found some time ago this amazing link with lots of unique rose beauties in great photographs, related to valuable insights in the outstanding and legendary breeding work of Ralph S. Moore reproduced by Paul Barden. Perhaps not everyone is aware of this fantastic site yet and it is of interest. The photos are really a delight for the eye.

https://kodakretina.exposure.co/

3 Likes

Help Me Find also lists these. 'Eugénie Guinoisseau X Nuits de Young' Rose
'Black Boy' Rose
'Fara Shimbo' Rose
'Kesäyö' Rose
'Nightmoss' Rose
'Parkzauber' Rose

3 Likes

I came across a Nuits de Young today and collected some seed. I went to have a look at HMF and it appears a fellow named Vibert II in France has used it a lot to get some interesting seedlings in addition to the aforementioned plants. I believe I will get one for next year if I can find it.

Are you able to showcase any of his seedlings from HMF?

Please consider supporting HMF! A great resource for rose lovers.

1 Like

Hello, I have used it before and paid but I see not all of these are by vibert? Anyway I have a nuits de young. So far I have had only one healthy rose until it’s second year where I decided to cull it as it was huge and was more mildew than anything else. It was in the ground and was unable to flower due to mildew breaking all the buds and warping the stems. That cross was Indigo X nuits de young. I imagine that’s why it had such mildew problems

sorry, those are all first gen seedlings, a lot but not all by Vibert II.

Ah sorry I realise that now, thanks for showing me!