Nigel Hawthorne reported to be hardy in Alberta Canada

I just got a used copy of Lois Hole’s book “Rose Favorites” and found Nigel Hawthorne listed both as a favorite and as hardy.

Some of her comments may be helpful:

“harder to propagate than many others, and is in high demand.”

“Unlike its partner Euphrates, Nigel Hawthorne is not shade tolerant”

“I grow Nigel Hawthorne in an exposed area next to a walkway, beside the back deck. It has survived unscathed, with little or no winter dieback at all, likely because of a deep snowcover that increases each time we shovel the walk and deck.”

Implications: there’s shade tolerance somewhere in the breeding line.

There’s cold tolerance as well.

And if you haven’t seen a large plant of Nigel Hawthorne in full bloom, you need to get your InterLibraryLoan to get Hole’s book to see on page 78 the intro page to Hardy roses a plant of Nigel Hawthorne with over a hundred blooms and showing the opening as a yellow/orange (Ros3y salmon?) with red eye and fade to strong pink with red eye and finale as white/pink with strong red eye.

I had Nigel Hawthorne on Dr. Huey. It thrived then suddenly collapsed.

I think there may have been a delayed incompatibility issue with the rootstock.

I never tried it as breeding stock.

I had ‘Nagel Hawthorne’ on it’s own roots here in Bakersfield. It lasted several years growing in a pot, but never thrived. Perhaps it didn’t like our heat. It finally passed on…

Persicas tend to be quite thorny, but some of the seedlings are showy very few to almost no thorns including one that reminds me a bit of NH. I posted the photo below on another forum, but the one I am talking about is the one with the darker pink larger petals. All of the petals shown are of repeat blooming new seedlings from 2007.

Jim Sproul

It seems the Hulthemias I have here want to go dormant? Have yours had tendency to lose their leaves Jim?

Jim,

Your photo of the different petals is lovely.

You seem to have the blotch going well.

Are the leaflets still looking hulthemia-like or are they becoming more rose-stipule like?

Robert, it does seem that the hulthemias as a group tend to loose their leaves nicely in the fall. Hopefully, that means that they may be more cold tolerant than average. They also seem to bloom well though late into the fall.

Ann, thanks! The repeat blooming hybrids have leaflets that are very rose-like. Some are a bit different than roses, but most you would not be able to tell the difference between roses. Even the plant structure is becoming compact and rose-like.

Jim Sproul

Having grown Euphrates (which I still have as it will not die), Tigris and Nigel Hawthorne, I can say that in my climate and lack of care, Nigel is the best garden plant. Absolutely no disease any time it grew. The budded Euphrates from Harkness was the most vigorous and the most prone to mildew. What I now have left is an own root which suckered from the original budded plant. Tigris and Euphrates did appreciate less of the intense summer sun here (Santa Clarita Valley, just a little south of where Jim Sproul grows them). Nigel seemed to like less of the hotter sun, but didn’t perform as well in “shady” situations as the other two. I did grow budded plants of Nigel in Pacific Palisades, just two blocks from the beach. They were wonderful! Bloom began early in the year and continued most of the summer because of the spring-like weather. Nigel also has wonderfully disease resistant foliage.

Unfortunately, Ralph’s Hulthemias are all crossed with his Halo roses, which are all based upon selfs of Anytime X Angel Face, NOT a very blackspot resistant rose. Jim’s idea of using Baby Love and Midnight Blue and Robert’s of using his Lilac Charm times my Softee X Legacy should help clean that mess up. The infusion of Legacy may also help alleviate the needle prickles.