Mug shot Scarlet Moss pollen on

Adam, I don’t know the answers to your questions and I doubt anybody else really does.

I do think that mossing is one manifestation of a transposon mediated regulatory gene that has different effects depending on where it lands in a particular genome. For instance, in one position it gives mossing and in another it gives cresting. Present in two copies, one each in both positions, it gives crested roses with moss.

If true then this begs more questions such as what happens if the gene lands in other places like, say, in the differentiation sequences for roots or stems or petals. I think, in fact, that we see it happen in petals but don’t realize it. More on that later on.

OK Adam, I think I understand what it means. Thx for your answer…ummmm… from what you wrote I immediately thought of the hulthemia blotch possibly having a similar pattern of inheritance (i.e the more copies of it present, the bigger the blotch…???).

I don’t know about the soft moss, but my breeding results indicate that hard moss/thorny moss is a dominant trait. FMM self crosses give 3/4 moss to 1/4 non-mossed, which is what one would expect if FMM were heterozygous and the trait dominant. That may be true only for this line of roses, but there it is for what it’s worth.

Fara, are the moss phenotypes always hard/thorny?

Adam, if your gongads are still tuff then you should find an email from me with some attached papers at your yahoo account.

Always hard/mossy, yes.

Here is a close up of the mossing and prickles from a Prairie Celebration x Paintbrush seedling.

Link: picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kwAEZnXIrd8W3r-WpkY6XXyC21B9XHPZBzs3GxxPMYU?feat=directlink

Here is a close up of the mossing and prickles from a Prairie Celebration x Paintbrush seedling.

Liz

Link: picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kwAEZnXIrd8W3r-WpkY6XXyC21B9XHPZBzs3GxxPMYU?feat=directlink