Moss Roses

Can someone tell me what moss roses have had the best luck for them as far as producing viable seeds that produce good mossing? The only ones I have are Double Treat, Dresden Doll, Lemon Delight, Strawberry Swirl, Mel Hulse, the thorniest rose I own I think , and I do not think that really represents Mel in any way in my opinion =) Lady Moss & Henri Martin.

Thank You for any info. Next I want to focus on a few spotted roses … I am going to build a spot to actually get some refrigeration on these roses as I have heard that Song of the Stars, Marbee, and others may need a chill any other spotted roses that seem to pass on spotting would be appreciated as well.

I have mainly been focusing on striped roses and I am trying to work into other areas I think I may be able to work with Veilchenblau has been being crossed with a lot of my roses this week … I had been told by many that it would not do well in St. Pete Fl. But it seems to be doing very well here … trying to save pollen for other ramblers it may cross with that bloom later in the season…

Any help would be appreciated. Also working with a lot of the new roses such as Midnight Blue , Night Owl Rhapsody in Blue ect… Anyone think I am correct in trying to cross with strong yellows?

Planning a trip to Horseheads Ny where my Grandfathers garden has been for more than 60 years to hopefully get a good look at trying to identify some of his old roses that were old when he was young. I mention this because I noticed a gentlemen on the site from Elmira area. Hoping Eldridge Park Carousel will be up and running this year =) I bought my star on the carousel, and can not wait to go to Harris Hill ect. Any rose gardens in that area that are worth looking at as I see just over the border in Pa there are a lot of old roses tucked away in old cemetaries from 17 to 1800’s

Regards,

Andrew

I know I touched on a few different areas but any replies are appreciated.

Ralph Moore discovered ‘Rumba’ produced more mossed seedlings than other seed parents.

Out of this came ‘Goldmoss’ and ‘Rougemoss’.

I’d try ‘Rumba’ with your favorite moss as pollen parent.

‘Lemon Delight’ and ‘Dresden Doll’ are both fairly easy seed parents.

‘Fairy Moss’ is an excellent source of “moss” genes and can work both ways.

I’m raising OP Mel Hulse seedlings-- It wasn’t even planned. I saw the hips and said, “Eh-- why not.”

It seems to set seed easily and germinate easily. But I have no idea what it produces. This is something you may want to ask it creator-- Paul Barden.

I’m sure he has worked with his own rose and know it much better than me.

And this may be the place to insert this tangent. I was in the university library earlier this week searching though 1800’s magazines.

One rose paper stated vehemently that the ONLY way to grow the classic white moss rose was grafted onto R. canina, own root it was too weak.

This might help keep something weak but interesting alive.

Ann

Ann, what is the classic white moss rose? Robyn

Andrew,

In pursuing new Moss varieties I would add the following comments:

Double Treat: useless, since it sets no seeds and has infertile pollen.

Dresden Doll: Sets seed and has fertile pollen, but most of the offspring are poor, and it breeds nothing but pale and ugly pinks.

Lemon Delight: Ralph Moore bred only one useful plant from this rose, and even then it was used only as a breeder. He said that working with Lemon Delight gave him nothing of first generation value.

Strawberry Swirl: doesn’t set seed, no pollen.

Mel Hulse: sets some seed, has fertile pollen. Nothing of merit has come from it to date, although I gave up on it as a breeder after only a few experiments.

Lady Moss: No seeds, but fertile pollen. Most offspring are disease prone and of poor color: washed out pinks mostly. It also breeds a number of once-bloomers, regardless of the other parent.

Henri Martin: Will breed only once-bloomers, so take that into account. It sets some seed, but I have never attempted to germinate them.

If you want good breeders for Mossing, remontancy and good foliage, I cannot recommend Scarlet Moss enough. Most of its offsring have superb foliage and many have excellent mossing.

Also, I suggest you obtain Ralph Moore’s new Condoleeza to use as a seed parent. It has given me some very good offspring with mossing, good foliage, and interesting bloom shapes and colors. The seeds germinate like weeds, which is a plus.

Goldmoss may still have some tricks up its sleeve, if mated with the right rose. I doubt Rougemoss is of any further value as a breeder, so Ralph says.

Although Robert mentions Fairy Moss as a breeder, I would add one caution: although some of Mr. Moore’s nicest Mini-Mosses have come out of Fairy Moss, he had to grow literally thousands of seedlings from it to obtain one or two worthwhile hybrids. I have used Fairy Moss myself and found the vast majority of its offspring are complete junk, and fewer still have any mossing. I have grown hundreds of seedlings from various crosses using Fairy Moss as a seed parent and kept not a single one. Condoleeza and Scarlet Moss give a much higher percentage of good offspring.

Regards,

Paul

I will order thses ASAP thank you for the great info as well.

Regards,

Andrew