Micromini seeding

One of my Rose Gilardi seedlings is a micromini. The leaf set (3) is about 1/2 inch and the buds are smaller than the diameter of an eraser on a pencil. The first three buds dropped off before blooming. I sprayed the plant for aphids and I don’t know if that had something do with the bud drop or not. It

I have always wanted to see micromini x rugosa, lol. I would also love to see micromini x briar type.

I like your two choices for a cross with a micromini Jadae. I’m not sure how this micro will perform as a parent yet but am hoping that it’s very fertile both ways. R. glauca is another one that I was thinking of…love those blue/grey leaves. Maybe Carmanetta and Hansa would be good ones to start with. Which briar would be your first pick?

lol I couldnt decide which briar…but definitely not Rosa foetida!!! LOL

I thought of Rosa primula…Rosa spinno… Rosa eglan…etc.

So, obviously something healthy + aesthetic.

Thank you for those suggestions. Much appreciated.

Using your suggestions Jadae, I did some searching and found ‘Flammentanz’, a hybrid of Rosa eglanteria

Rob, I have kept two microminis over the years, but have not used them in breeding. You gave me an idea to try using them next year!

I think that I will cross them with the most floriferous shrub types that set hips well.

Jim Sproul

Do yours set OP hips at all? Mine is too new to tell yet. It’s in bud now and I’ll take pics of it this weekend and post here. I like the idea of a micro rugosa and a micro with glaucous leaves and will move down those avenues next season. Good luck with your micros Jim.

Jadae,

A few years ago I had seedlings of Dresden Doll X Greenmantle (a eglantine hybrid) and also with Lady Penzance. But they were very pale (almost white) and they died off.

I’ve tried to cross Greenmantle directly with Lady Penzance, but I haven’t yet.

Was it you that loved scented foliage, Enrique? I know some other species have sniffer foliage, too. There is Rosa primula, some moss hybrids and one other species I cant remember.

I would love to try Rosa primula x Cinderella, but I think I’d have to live in a drier climate to accomplish that (primula blooms during peak rain, and I have found out is only pollen viable here due to that lol).

In the past I have kept the mother of all microminis; ‘Si’ and I am trying to obtain a specimen now to use as the pollen parent with Rosa Rugosa ‘Scabrosa’. I would love to see the tiny flowers and leaves on a healthy bush of rugosa type like that of ‘Scabrosa’.

On this, how is miniaturisation inherited? Is it straight forward Mendelian inheritenece?

Ive always assumed that it is is two different aspects of dwarfism interacting. But who knows. It’s not like rose growth architecture is completely understood yet.

I do think that there should be more hybrids of eglantine… I think an eglatine scented moss would be very nice.

Or a thornless one.

Simon, i thought rouletii was the mother of all miniatures? I can be wrong. Lot to learn for me as a rookie hybridizer. Next year i’ll use some minis: humanity stars ‘n’ stripes clarissa rouletii what are negative caracteristics of a miniature? Do they survive winter? Are they more frigile because they are tiny, thin and small?

Sorry - what I meant by that was ‘the smallest’ (Australianism - sorry bout that - just means ‘the’ exmaple of something). Rouletti was the first one. ‘Si’ is the smallest variety.

In a previous thread David Zlesak said that miniature stature was qualitatively dominant so I am I wron in assuming that standard x miniature will yield 100% miniature if it follows simple dominant/recessive inheritence patterns and any OP seeds from them, assuming self fertilisation, will yield both miniatures and standard sized plants?

The thing with micros is that theyre often the result of polyantha and miniature heritage mixed. Sure, they both likely descend from Rosa chinensis, but there is a visual difference.

ok - polyantha are generally small flowered and can be quite low growing, but are they small because they have the ‘miniature gene’ or are they just small standards?

Simon said: am I wrong in assuming that standard x miniature will yield 100% miniature if it follows simple dominant/recessive inheritence patterns and any OP seeds from them, assuming self fertilisation, will yield both miniatures and standard sized plants?

As a dominant feature is expressed when a single dose is present, then at diploid as well as at tetraploid level you may have about half miniatures half full size. An all miniature progeny necessitate a full homozygote for miniature parent.

Self pollinated progeny will reflect degree of homo or heterozygoty.