Loop Holes for Importing?

Ran across an interesting tidbit on Passenger Baggage about what is allowed for plants, parts and seeds. Sounds like12 plants can be brought in without paperwork, something like a rose plant. Further down was a comment that no documents where nessesary for some approved companies. This was on a gov. Ag inspection site. Tried to copy and past but it would not work. Big bus. at work and those with Leer Jets.

Neil

Neil,

It’s hard to comment without seeing the original document you are referring to.

A lot depends on the knowledge of the TSA and Ag inspectors. We’ve found that when we bring things in legally from abroad (outside the US) that we have a lot of explaining to do. (Yes, even with the correct paperwork, things are generally difficult.)

Generally speaking traveling between states, it’s not an issue. (At least, we haven’t had any trouble up to date.)

Except if you are talking about Hawaii and the territories, then it can be a problem.

It’s always better to declare the items than to have them ‘found’ in your possession. The government is starting to follow through with the big fines they have always threatened us with. I remember a past ASHS conference that was held in Hawaii and a professor tried to bring back some plants. He was fined over $10,000 for not declaring the plants (and, of course, they were taken away and destroyed).

Without giving away identities, I know of a situation where someone brought plants and budwood in from Europe. The person entered customs with a salami under their arm and when asked if there was anything to declare, mentioned only the salami, which was confiscated with a stern warning that meat can’t be brought in. The person was permitted to pass through with no inspection of the luggage. Of course, this was just prior to 9-11.

I was searching something on this new forum and a lady posted the link.

In plain english it stated as above if not a prohibited plant which I assumed was some rare thing. It was a pdf file and have not been able to copy those.

Of course it would be much better to have in hand if needed the written info. That´s the trouble now days people are afraid to take some reg.at face value, with good cause.

And who are these approved companies that can bring in plants without paper work. Of course a person would have to read and interpret the written word. Neil

Neil, it’s very difficult to figure out what this item says without looking at it. If you can copy and post the link here, we can all look at what it says.

Peter

There are really some Loop Holes that could be found when in comes to importing laws that is why some of the business minded people can really take advantage of this most of the time.

There are certain round-abouts in this importing scheme/laws and being aware of this we can actually import with lesser “hassle”,still without breaking any laws which may procure legal consequences.

I think the info is lost forever. This computer only gives a short history. I also do not know how far back a search on this forum goes. It seems different. Maybe the info was old, but==, haven’t been able to get back on a site showing inspectores at work. Neil

[quote=Neil]

I think the info is lost forever. This computer only gives a short history. I also do not know how far back a search on this forum goes. It seems different. Maybe the info was old, but==, haven’t been able to get back on a site showing inspectores at work. Neil[/quote]

Neil, if you will tell us what forum this discussion was on, I suspect that we can find the link.

As far as I know, there are no loopholes, but I’m willing to check into the subject. Anyone who knows anything specific should say what it is.

Peter

I believe this is what you are talking about

That is ciose Adam, so only more than 12 plants need inspection. And ppq permit.? Neil

I don’t see any loopholes in that. Sure, you can bring in up to 12 items of soil-free plant material that is not subject to CITES or other special prohibition, but it still has to have a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin.

Be aware that you must obtain a phytosanitary certificate of inspection from the country of origin

Peter

And do be aware that APHIS is there to protect us and our native flora… I know that I sometimes view them as evil for all the hassle they cause.

Well whatever, but the local exporter of a zillion cut roses, your pal of course is not going to have a problem with however many sanitery certs your party needs. Neil

Well whatever, but the local exporter of a zillion cut roses, your pal of course is not going to have a problem with however many sanitery certs your party needs. Neil