Looking for recommendation

I’m looking for an excellent miniature moss that is extremely healthy, is fertile and that has been shown to pass on the moss trait. Thanks in advance.

Rob

IMO, we’ve already discussed the one and only candidate that meets those requirements, and her initials are RG :wink:

In my experience, all the others are too Blackspotty to qualify.

Paul,

LOL It took me a little bit of time to figure out what RG is. The seedlings I have from Rose Gilardi (OP seeds) have good disease resistance, good repeat bloom but have no mossing. I’ve kept two that I really like that are both striped climbing miniatures. Have you, or anyone else who wants to comment, had any luck bring the moss trait forward in RG seedlings? Thanks.

Rob

The few times I used RG as a seed bearer, the majority of progeny were mossed, many quite heavily. The pollen parent affects how intensely, and even if there is mossing expressed.

Paul,

If you were to pair RG with another moss which would you use? Scarlet Moss?

Rob

Rob,

Been there, done that, got lots of well mossed offspring, solid reds, some with stripes, some without. Most had Blackspot problems, some severe, some less so. Most were stubby plants with awkward growth habits, inherited from Scarlet Moss, no doubt. If I were to make a RG cross these days, I would select a plant like Fakir’s Delight to match it with instead. But I think you want dwarf plants, not larger ones.

Honestly, I would try RG X L83. I did Scarlet Moss X L83 in 2009 and have several extremely healthy, vigorous and well mossed seedlings in testing from that cross. I will take some photos next chance I get. A couple of these are really promising.

Paul,

Would love to see some photos of your SM X L83 seedlings at some point. Based on your comments I won’t pursue SM with RG. I do have two of your seedlings left that I could use with RG…(Penny Ante x Tradescant) x L83 and 1-72-1 x L83. The former is a nice red, repeat blooming and extremely healthy (<5% BS) and the latter is only once blooming but has miniature leaves/blossoms on a vigorous (could be a large shrub if left on it’s own) plant that had ZERO signs of disease this season. Mabye these would be a good choice. Both set plenty of OP hips and hopefully would get repeat bloom using the latter with RG. I have hips on the latter using pollen from two of my striped RG seedlings. Thanks for your input Paul.

Rob