Lac La Nonne Thorn Question?

Noted during spring reconn in gardens my version of this once blooming rugosa hybrid by Bugnet hybrid (~ 5 years) has no more the half a half dozen insignificant thorns. HMF photos so significant amounts to my eyes.

Are there different versions out there supporting one note by Bugnet that he called it Rugbland?

Profuse bloom and rampant hip setter, and lack of significant thorns makes me think this rugosa hybrid maybe worth crossing to see if anything comes out.

2 Likes

Photos

Try again
C9BA7E2E-037F-4635-A843-F83F3FA1C8E5.jpeg

1 Like

Bloom last year - cane in front not LLN’s from the “likely John Franklin”.

Nice semi double - again to my eyes different from some photos l have seen.
28F9FE39-488C-4B76-84B8-AD9702BA2549.jpeg

1 Like

June 18 mth 2021 before peak, got to like the large bloom and how lush spring foliage is - early bloomer.

This noticing of the sample’s trait brings to mind Bugnet’s triumph l call “a rugosa hybrid without prickles - like a Hawthorne without thorns”
2086EAD8-8029-465F-B8B3-8A296824FBE1.jpeg

2 Likes

A beautiful quote. I suppose the fruit of a thornless hawthorn would be called a “haw haw”.

Touché … par excellence !!!

My ‘Lac La Nonne’ purchased from Corn Hill Nursery this spring didn’t survive the summer, but it definitely had many small prickles on the stems.

Of course, there are thornless (or nearly so) hawthorns out there! They’re so much more pleasant to grow than the thorny kinds…

I believe you because the 4 or 5 seedlings ( both sinkers and floaters) from this spring that germinated in the winter seed burial test plot (after failing to germinate after “stratifying at at above 35-40F”) all had a dense coating of prickles. Mother Cornhill original. Must be an age thing as old wood is pretty bristle free and gnarly. New canes barely any bristles.

Seedlings planted as part of a young hedge along with R. xanthina and spino seedlings from spring. The gallica seedlings brought in for winter along with LG.