John Davis descendants

This rose, 1087, is stunning right now. It only blooms once but has been going for quite a while. Tip hardy eight feet in the air here in Zone 3/4.

I’ve found that John Davis is the King of the Flush…it seems to make roses that have a fantastic shrub-covering first flush of blossoms.

My 1022 (not pictured) is a R. carolina x John Davis that is semi-double and much more resistant to cercospora than John Davis.

This rose is 1022 crossed with another seedling of misplaced parentage.

Another descendant of 1022:

This is 1022 x 1113. 1113 is another seedling of unknown parentage…suspecting it includes Rainbow Knock Out and/or Prairie Joy. A bland single pink rebloomer that i used a lot because of it’s perfectly shrubby habit, like a dwarf spirea. This seedling is a once-bloomer that usually dies back more but is stunning this year after a mild winter with no dieback.

Here are some 1022 x op from an outdoor seedling bed that I let grow up en masse. Some are sweetly fragrant, some are completely thornless:

the above seedling is more magenta and is completely thornless. It seems likely it was pollinated by the nearby CAROCENTICOM which is (R. carolina x R. centifolia) x Commander Gillette.

11 Likes

Love the shrubby habit! I like it much better than some sparse sticks with blooms on top. Although I do have a lot of those… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful, Joe! Are all of those once-bloomers, or are any remontant? I am really impressed with the tidy architecture.

2 Likes

Thanks, Philip!

All are once-bloomers, unfortunately…

I figured – particularly based on the profusion in those first flushes, but one can hope! (I suppose in your climate you would get limited flushes in a season regardless.) Nice that you got a few thornless ones in the lot though.

Are you working with R. setigera serena by any chance? Might be an interesting one to throw into your mix. I have dabbled with her, but I don’t have much to show for it (or for any of my other crosses for that matter!)