Is it a rambler?

4-year old seedling got nourishment for the first time and did this. No fragrance. Its mama might be Westerland? Arching canes. Do I call it a rambler?

3 Likes

I believe the term is generally reserved for once-bloomers. Does it repeat?

2 Likes

These are the first blooms it’s ever had. Thanks for the info. It’s always an adventure.

1 Like

Hi Heather. Is it a seedling you raised? From what I see it looks just like Dr. Huey.

2 Likes

It’s a seedling I raised from about 4 years ago, whose parentage I don’t know. That season I think some Westerland seeds grew, and a whole group of various little ones got knocked over and tags lost. It could be from anything in my neighborhood.

1 Like

Thank you! I just purchased westerland this year and am curious what your experience is as a parent.

1 Like

That’s the only one I think MIGHT be.

1 Like

Hah! Totally understood.

1 Like

3 days later.

2 Likes

Its attractive colour holds well. Looks like it has bloomed all along last year’s growth (as ramblers do), so now I would hope that the current growths set buds and bloom in clusters (like Westerland does), or indeed you have a once-blooming “rambler-type”, though it may never climb…
How is the scent of the flowers?

2 Likes

No fragrance worth mentioning. That is mostly new growth. It must have liked the kelp and fish sauce I gave it in early spring.

1 Like

It is really pretty. Thank you for sharing this!

2 Likes

Are you SURE that’s not Dr. Huey??

1 Like

I had never heard of Dr. Huey before this conversation. I grew this from a seed from somewhere in my neighborhood.

On a different subject, how do I encourage repeat blooms on this one? Do I deadhead each bloom, or cut back the spent canes? There are 4 more new canes growing.

Thanks, all, for the interest!

2 Likes

So…? Has it given any repeat bloom?

I dead-headed the blooms, but so far no re-bloom.

1 Like

Thanks for asking. I always enjoy reading your posts!

1 Like