I cultivated,Variegated foliage!

This is the photo of last year

3 Likes

3 Likes

This is the hybrid seedling in 2023

4 Likes

Wow! That’s really cool Eric.
Some of those leaves especially in your second post seem to have variegation in many shades, like a camo pattern… I’ve never seen that before! I also like the white/cream flowers with this foliage, they complement each other well.

2 Likes

Thank you. Variegated is a genetic hybridization, not a virus infection .
In the past two years, I have obtained several Variegated Foliage, It can be inherited, but it is a small probability. If you have a Variegated folage rose, you can hybridize the Variegated !

2 Likes

Nice. I’ve seen this effect in a few seedlings, but it never lasts.
I wonder if some of this might be in the background:

Does it repeat?

2 Likes

Variegated Memorial ?I haven’t planted it before. I don’t understand,I saw someone try using Variegated Memorial,There are no descendants of Variegated,

1 Like

No, Lee, it does not repeat. I grew this MANY years ago. It grew in the Study Plot at The Huntington Library. It is INVASIVE beyond belief! I used to propagate it for sales the Library held and I would describe it to prospective buyers as “dead leaves will root in fire!”. Wichurana, itself, can be invasive and you would think being a partial albino, with significant areas of its foliage not possessing chlorophyll and therefore incapable of photosynthesis as efficiently as the solid form, it wouldn’t be AS vigorous nor invasive, but it IS. Once established, it nearly requires Round Up to eradicate it. Seriously! If you read the Comments on HMF, you will see where Paul Barden reported he raised self seedlings from it years ago and none were variegated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, Kim. Sounds like something to add to my “do not attempt” list. I had never heard the term albino used, but I do have one seedling this year that is practically all white; it continues to grow, and I guess I’ll just see what happens. At least I know what to call it now.

Eric, in retrospect, that was a terrible piece of writing. I was actually trying to ask whether YOUR variegated rose repeats.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty. Can you say what the parents are?

1 Like

Cool! Is it stable or tends to revert?

1 Like

I really like that second group of photos!

Variegated seedlings I’ve had typically burn in bright sunlight. How has this one done?

2 Likes

Every hybrid seedling of mine can blossom repeatedly, and its variant is not derived from the variant memory, but from a rose in the garden. The variation of this rose is continuous from seed germination to flowering, so I began to experiment with it. Over the past two years, I conducted cross pollination on it, seeded its seeds, and obtained several mutant roses. The variation can be passed on to future generations with a small probability., Most seedlings do not have genetic variation, and my mutant roses come from them. I have proven that this variation can be inherited by sowing seeds. You can try ‘Verschuren’ rose, perhaps it can sow genetic variation. I hope this can help you. Can you buy ‘Verschuren’ rose? If you have any questions, you can ask me. I will reply when I see them. I hope to become friends with everyone on the forum. I have many more questions to ask you in the future

2 Likes

“It is a variation from a rose in the garden, and the variation of this rose continues from seed germination to flowering. So I began to experiment with it. Over the past two years, I conducted cross pollination on it, seeded its seeds, and obtained several mutant roses. The variation can be passed on to offspring with a small probability. Most seedlings do not have genetic variation, and my mutant roses come from it. I have proven that this variation can be passed on through sowing,”, You can try ‘Verschuren’ rose, maybe it can sow genetic variation. I hope this can help you. Can you buy ‘Verschuren’ rose? If you have any questions, you can ask me. I will reply when I see them. I hope to become friends with everyone on the forum. I have many more questions to ask you in the future

2 Likes

This rose variation is sustainable and can be inherited through seeds

2 Likes

burn?My rose seedlings won’t scorch,Please pay attention to watering the seedlings

2 Likes