Hulthemia seeds

Put a batch of Chinese Hulthemia (Xinjiang Prov) into stratification today, strange looking seed for a rose type , they are long in shape with a coating structure similar to an apple seed (quite shiny)

Good luck with them. It would be interesting to see a picture of the seeds compared to an average rose seed if you could.

Warren, do you have coordinates and elevation for collection point?

a coating structure similar to an apple

Perhaps coincidence but apples originated in the mountains in the very north of Xinjiang along the border into Kazakhstan.

Don around 43 48’ 0"N 87 35’ 0" E elevation 800m. The seed coating is quite shiny Don.

[attachment 1217 hulthemiaseed.jpg] Seed length 2.0 - 2.5 mm

Very interesting achenes. Some species, such as soulieana have quite high ratio length/width of seed. Others including wichurana, arkansana are somewhat elongate. I think Don posted dimensionally calibrated pics on HMF for some kinds.Often more seeds per hip results in the elongation, compared to when there is only 1 or 2. Did you get a chance to see how these were packed into hips? My observation is that exogenous seeds are often longer and always quite dark in color compared to those buried within the same hip (but not shiny). These look like something in need of scarification to get through the waxy layer. Lots of legumes are that way, as a defense against germinating too easily. Can you nick the outer coat?

They remind me of beggeriana/silverkjelmi and moyesii. Spin seeds are often shiny, I think you’ll find some photos of of shiny altaica and Doorenbos selection. I’ll bet they come one or a few to a hip?

If they are from Urumqi Botanical Garden the seeds could have originated anywhere in China. UBG are conservators of Chinese plants much like Quarryhill.

Don they are from Urumqi, a friend of mine saw them growing in the area.

Well, you have your work cut out for you. If you have not yet read the accounts by Harkness and Cocker of their work with Hulthemia it would be worth doing so.

Don I read that article a while ago concerning Harkness and Cocker. I am heading off to China in 5 wks and hope to talk to the fellows who have been working on Hulthemia Hybrids over there and of course other species types. These seedlings if they germinate will be planted in very sandy loam soil, and with our warm weather in the riverina I think they will do ok. Its a big task but I still have few years in front of me to see some results hopefully.

Warren, don’t forget my address, if you have I will email you it.

Hi Warren,

Good luck with the seeds and future seedlings. I’m guessing I speak for many here in saying that I’d love to see any photos you can take of any Hulthemia seedlings in China. I’m very curious to see what they’re doing there!

Thanks,

Joseph

Hi Warren,

Yes, I also wish you the best of luck with these. It would be very interesting to find whether the Hulthemia hybrids have any better compatibility with Hulthemia persica, than the original attempts by Harkness and Cocker.

Thanks Jim, I think they may due to Hulthemia genes already excisting within the Hybrids. From what I have read , when doing unusual crosses , the problem of genes not matching up is the main cause of failure. My hat goes off to those before me like Harkness, Cocker,Moore and people like your self which make things a little easier to achieve.

My main reason for using pure breds is a source of enrichment, here in Oz, access to Hulthemia Hybrid offspring can be quite difficult to obtain and those which we use , when crossing them with non Hulthemia types, genetic traites soon become to diluted.

This year I made about 30 crosses with Euphrates pollen and so far none seem to be rejected after 4wks an other month will make me happier if some are still on the plant.

[attachment 1424 Hulth16thfeb20132.jpg] one of the seedlings of Hulthemia persica. Extremely thorny with the growth extending upwards to about 2".

[attachment 1425 HulthTrif16thfeb20132.jpg] Seedling treated with Trifluralin Sol: All seedlings treated are displaying this type of growth habit. This seedling is from the same batch as the seedling above, showing difference. Height 1/2 - 3/4 ".

Those do look like they have some nasty thorns.

I’m chucking to myself watching this thread, Warren. Germinating Hulthemia where it’s indigenous has been described as, “pile up some sand, drop the seeds and let the goat whiz on it (water it)”. Hmm, yours DID germinate pretty quickly! I guess that’s to be expected, though. Ralph always said Tigres would shed its hips quite early. As long as there is water and appropriate temperatures, rapid germination makes sense.

Hi Warren,

These look beautiful, amazing - just like the real thing!

These look beautiful, amazing - just like the real thing!

Jim they are the real thing LOL.

Hi Warren,

Absolutely - no doubt about it! :slight_smile: And each seedling will offer a little bit more about the H. persica genome. Very exciting stuff!

Those little Hulthemia seedlings are now around 10" high and growing strong. They all seem to grow in this manner with no side branching at the moment

[attachment 1476 hulthemia.jpg]