HT x Gallica Crosses

I have some HT x Gallica crosses, one of which should bloom this spring. Somewhere I remember reading that Gallica crosses of that type are often dead ends as far as future hybridizing. Is that true?

Theodosia,

“It depends upon what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.”

Lol, I’d say that it definitely IS not true. Idk where you read that, but a philosophy I try to adhere by not just in rose breeding, but in life is to avoid black and white statements or ideas. There’s always exceptions, and any extreme words like “never” and “always” should raise a red flag. To answer your question though, no. Look at what David Austin did, if you read his original book you will see that his English roses combined many different classes including Gallicas and Hybrid Teas. Case in point, Constance Spry, a successful cross of a Gallica and a Floribunda, and we all know how important she turned out to be…

-Andrew

I agree with Andrew,
Look at all the roses with Gallica in them the Paul Barden created. Also I have a number of Belle de Crecy x Frontenac offspring that I consider some of my best plants because of their disease resistance, hardiness and overall appearance even if they are only once blooming. They’re going to figure prominently in the crosses I make in foreseeable future. If you are remembering correctly the statement about Gallicas, that was only that persons opinion and they probably had very different ideas as what direction rose breeding should go than you and I do.
Just remember it’s going to take at least one more generation and probably two to recapture repeat bloom.

Thank you for your input. We had an especially hard winter here (zone 5). Most of our my roses froze to the ground, even though we had a lot of snow cover, including DKO. Notable exceptions were Gallica and Rugosas and their hybrids. I cannot detect any damage at all.

Theodosia Underwood, if you want do HT x Gallica or Gallica x HT , just do it. You don’t need to consider something like ‘dead ends’.

Agreed! Pursue your ideas and give it a try. Gallicas are in the background of Hybrid Perpetuals and therefore Hybrid Teas already as well. Sometimes the key to success in generating hybrids of divergent parents is to try different combinations of parents of the two groups to find those that are relatively fertile and capable of producing vigorous and viable offspring with each other. I don’t think you’ll have much difficulty from Paul’s and others examples of using gallicas with modern hybrids. Years ago I raised seedlings of Carefree Beauty with gallicas and I don’t remember it being too difficult to generate them.