How to register as a breeder

How do I register myself as a breeder, and register my new roses?

1 Like

Welcome Heather! I don’t know that it’s possible to “register as a breeder”. The American Rose Society serves as the International Cultivar Registration Authority for Roses. Roses would have to be registered through the ARS. I’m sorry, but I have no idea what the process is.

Mark

1 Like

Welcome Heather! As Mark wrote, registrations are handled through the ARS. They can also (I presume) still assign you a “Breeder’s Code”. They are who assigned them decades ago when I obtained mine. Their website is sorely out of date, based upon this "latest’ Rose Registration list from 2018. https://www.rose.org/single-post/2018/04/19/rose-registrations Their address for sending snail mail is in that blog post. Ah! Here we go! https://www.rose.org/modernroses Don’t get discouraged. I am told it can take a LONG time for responses. Good luck and have fun!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll try it.

2 Likes

You’re welcome! One thing to consider, if there is any possibility you may be patenting any of your roses, you should not post any information about it on line. No photos, no descriptions, no names, etc. Once you do, it starts the clock and you have one year in which to patent the rose. I realize this is something most of us won’t have to worry about, but if it’s a possibility with any of your roses, keep that in mind. Also, if you want to list them on Help Me Find-Roses, you should start by purchasing a Premium Membership for $24 a YEAR so you can utilize the parentage function to research what made what. I can walk you through all the steps you need to take to put everything up there.

3 Likes

Greetings Heather and congratulations on having created new roses. We would like to hear what you have accomplished in this regard keeping in mind not to post photos of specific hybrids so as not to jeopardize your patent rights. You could reveal, for instance, that you have had success with particular cultivars crossing with other particular cultivars or you have some particular colors or patterns out of a particular cross.

You might also post a note to the American Rose Society forum asking for clarification on the process of registering your rose and asking how long to expect a response to take:

3 Likes

I’m so grateful for all the responses! My seedlings so far come from roses in my neighborhood in Colorado, whose names I don’t know. A few seedlings have shown hardiness and desirable traits. Those are the ones I’d like to register. The rest I’ve given away as gifts. My first potential hybrids (hopefully) are in the works, in the fridge.

1 Like

thank you for the information!

I remember I did register a rose a couple of years ago but at that time the database was not working very well. And appearantly the system says I have no official code name so I just applied for my codename again. Hopefully it will work this time :slight_smile:

How much does it cost roughly to patent a rose?

How much do plant patents cost?

Filing a plant patent application costs between $360 and $720. The examination fees for a plant patent are $170. Including these costs, legal fees, and other charges, a plant patent typically costs between $4,660 and $7,620.

2 Likes

What does the examination entail?

1 Like

The two links will provide an basic overview of plant patents as well as examination procedures. It can be assumed that the procedure may vary slightly from country to country.

1 Like

Thanks, I completed the official request for a breeder code, over two months ago. How long does it take-- has anyone gotten a new breeder code recently?

Update 2 days later, I just received an email saying my request is approved!

Congratulations! I hope that’s the longest you have to wait for responses from them.

1 Like

Thank you so much for encouraging me, and sharing your knowledge. I learn from all the conversations on this forum.

You’re welcome! You’re going to have fun!

I received my breeder code:
HHM

Congratulations on getting an ARS code, Heather! It should also be noted for the record that one does not actually need to register a rose with the American Rose Society (the official International Cultivar Registration Authority for the genus) in order to patent a cultivar in the U.S., and that is also true for Plant Variety Rights protections or any other statutory rights. Any cultivar epithet (name) that is accepted and established by a statutory registration authority is fully legitimate under the International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants regardless of its acceptance by the ARS. Beyond that, a cultivar epithet may be established merely by publication in a journal or book (with an ISBN) with an appropriate description regardless of registration, as long as it adheres to the rules of the ICNCP. Those rules are quite logical, and they are reviewed and updated regularly by a committee.

Stefan

2 Likes

Thank you for clarifying all of it!