How do you get a different colour on the underside of petals?

so, just to preface, I’m BRAND NEW to breeding roses.
I want to breed a new type of rose for my grandmother, and she loves roses with two colours on the petal. i have a specific colour combo in mind i’ve never seen done before, so does anyone have parent plants or techniques to try and get this pattern? preferably without me having to buy expensive Osiria or the like.
i wanted yellow tops with deep red undersides (kinda like Circus in reverse)
could i somehow do this with just solid plants? or should i include on with the pattern?
Help is appreciated

1 Like

Welcome! The color pattern you mention is referred to as “bicolor”. If you search this forum for the word bicolor you should find discussions of both bicolor roses and roses that produce bicolor seedlings. I believe the effect you’re looking for (lighter color above with darker petal backs) is called a reverse bicolor. Hope this helps you get started.

Mark

2 Likes

‘About Face’ is perhaps the most commercially available cultivar with the reverse-bicolour pattern. There have been very few compared to the darker upper/lighter lower bicolours like ‘Love’ and the recent (barf-noise) ‘Ketchup & Mustard’. FWIW, there’s a dahlia of the same name that I MUCH PREFER.

1 Like

The only reliable rose I know with a darker back and lighter front is About Face. It does form some hips, but I do not know if they germinate. It might be fun to play around with. Maybe try crossing it with miscellaneous dark reds or bright yellows and see what you get. That’s the fun of hybridizing - you never really know what will show up. I would recommend using roses bred by Kordes or Radler so that you don’t spend all that time and effort to breed a diseased mess.

There are a lot more choices for bi-color roses with a lighter back and darker front.

HMF shows several descendants as both mother and pollen.

A few years ago, I did germinate one About Face seed(OP). It looked similar to the parent, with kind of frilly edges on the petals. I planted it outside, but it died during its first winter here in northern Colorado. Admittedly, I didn’t protect it well enough.