Hips splitting open

My red rosamini has for the second time had a hip that’s split open while maturing. Both were about a month old at least and starting to swell.

Could it be something like temperature shifts that cause this? We had another cold front now and the temps did dive a bit.

On the other hand I am starting to wonder if it isn’t sterile. I’ve harvested the anthers of 8 of its flowers, but it has produced no pollen so far. On HMF I can see that it has been used in at least one instance as a pollen parent, but from my experience I can’t see how that’s possible.

I don’t know if it’s weather, but I have observed MANY split hips over the decades mostly apparently due to what’s inside them being too large for the interior diameter of the hips. Like trying to shove too much garbage in a bag and it splitting.

1 Like

As long as that stem keeps pushing nutrients into that hip, I’ll not worry. Sure, it’s an OP hip and there are plenty of them on m’dear ‘François Juranville’ (even a nice BIG one I fertilized w ‘Danäe’-pollen!), but it’s still one of my most reliable germinators, and yields a satisfying number of dwarf, repeating shrubs.