HARVEST ROSE SEED

CAN SEEDS BE HARVESTED IN THE SPRING AFTER A WINTER OF COLD

WEATHER OR WILL THEY NOT LAST THROUGH THE FREEZING TEMPS

EVERY THING I READ SAYS TO HARVEST IN OCT,NOV I AM NEW TO

GROWING ROSES FROM SEED AND WOULD LIKE TO TRY TO COLECT SOME

SEED NOW IF THEY WOULD STILL GROW. ALSO IS THERE A GOOD SORCE TO GET SEED NOW.

Lyle,

They might germinate. You can’t lose much by trying. I’d say go for it.

The conventional wisdom is that germination is reduced by exposure of the seeds to freezing temperatures over the winter, but I don’t know where you live, so I don’t know how extreme the cold was. Besides, quite a few people have had some germination from seeds that were left on the bush over the winter in places like Saint Louis and Omaha. I suspect that it depends a lot on the variety and on the maturity of the seeds.

MUST YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS???

Some may germinate, and it depends on the variety of rose you have. Some rose seeds are harder to germinate, some rose seeds never germinate, etc… But with luck, you may get something, although I wouldn’t expect a lot of progress at this point… Start now, pollinate two roses and see what you can get.

I’ve had some germinations with seeds (4th of July, Bassino) that overwintered in zone 5. I didn’t treat them the usual way, just planted the cleaned seeds in pots and left them exposed outside.

My friend gave me some rose seeds that had been stored in his freezer for 5 years, and many germinated when I took them and treated them as usual. Go for it.

By the way, typing in all caps is considered “yelling.” DON’T DO IT! (see what I mean?) :slight_smile: