Gloire des Rosomanes

Is anyone having luck with Gloire des Rosomanes?

A search shows that Pierre and Martin were working with it '03.

I’m ordering one, as I find the historically important fertile triploids always interesting. I may focus on Gloire des Rosomanes x Knock Out and Gloire des Rosomanes x Prairie Princess - going for heavy blooming, tough, and hopefully fragrant tetraploid shrub roses - if a cross like the later had been available back in the early 1800’s we would all have healthier roses today.

Baxter

I’ve worked with it’s decendent, General Jack… Seedlings are still new, I’ve used its pollen on Livin Easy, Pacific Serenade, and Cologne.

The Cologne cross has some real nice ruby red foilage-- and seedling has a little bud, which I already removed. But my General Jack is very weak, perhaps it is due to its location.

I recalled reading something about recent GdR crosses some where in the US with good results from Queen Elizabeth and other roses. Perhaps from John Starnes Jr. (link below)

Some of his roses seem to be very intresting-- wish I could read up more about him.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=H2885&tab=3

Hello Baxter,

Yes, I use it each year.It works quite well

both ways.

Best wishes,

Pierre.

Dear Baxter, what aims do you follow?

GDR selfs willingly, in which case one gets often

China-like seedlings (more close to Chinas than GDR itself)

I believe many GDR sold in the U.S. might be actually

seedlings. My GDRs are a bit closer to the Portland rose than the one on pictures I have from CA (I grow a clone from Germany)

Best wishes,

Pierre Lauwers.

Thanks Guys!

China-like is not all bad for me. I’m working with Old Blush as well. Where I am at, if a rose is up to it, it can bloom continuously, year round (Old Blush does so - and in mostly shade). If I can manage to increase disease resistance without losing bloom volume and fragrance I will be quite happy…

GDR is near to completely disease-free for me.

I have had seedlings from it that did BS badly;

often this is the case with the dwarfed, double

and deep-reds selfed it sometimes give.

I usually plant these in a corner of the garden, some die, others become better every year.

Other seedlings could be described as somewhere between

Old Blush and a red China. Of course, the actual genetic

difference between the two must be quite infinitesimal

(if there is any).These are single or semi-double, pink

to deep pink, vigourous and often disease-resistant.

I have had only one once-bloomer, and this is a climber.

As far as crossings are concerned, I use to try to pollinate GDR with Damasks and Portlands. This is difficult, you need quite a lot of pollen and most of the hips don’t start.

Best wishes,

Pierre Lauwers.